Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the rain has come and it's time for you to get out and help maintain your trails while the conditions are moist. while those of us who are nonstop building do it all the time regardless, but it's time for the rest to slay that inner poacher in you and make your local stuff more enjoyable. remebmer, our trails don't take care of themselves....

everybody always says they are waiting for rain, but i was out for about 10 hours digging this weekend at a couple different places and didn't see another soul anywhere.....

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
true dat......everybody needs to help build and maintain your local trails.......if you are in my area...I have shovels stored and will be up there the rest of the day today....find me and I will show you here the shovels are.....locals call me on the cell....get out there most all the trails need very much tender love and care

·
Registered
75 Posts
id like to help out, let me know what trails need it the most and where I should start. maybe a group of us could go out and get **** down together? i am sorta new to the whole mtb scene but i really wanna help out on the trails cause i know that im here for good (mtbing that is!!)
-Chris

·
Pro Crastinator
12,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
afi823 said:
id like to help out, let me know what trails need it the most and where I should start....
nobody knows which need it most. this wasn't really an attemp at getting a digging party together. it was more of a reminder that our trails don't just fix themselves on their own. fact is, hundreds of people ride every trail and about 5 of those hundreds actually try to help maintain them. 99% of the people just take for granted that they have somwhere to ride without thinking about what it takes to keep them rideable...

now get out there and fix up your local spots so we can enjoy them for many more moons...

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I've got about 6 full days of work under my belt in the new year, here in the southern Santa Monica's. Cleaned up a couple existing trails, started work on a new addition on Saturday, and yesterday dug out a new ravine gap on a popular high speed trail in the area. I'll post pics of me stacking on it as soon as the tranny is done.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
trail work is for people who can't ride ruts and broken down lips. Maybe if you spent more time learning to ride messed up trails you wouldn't have to spend time digging. "oh, look at me building sweet berm turns and lips and trannies, i'm so cool...." ;)

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
your kidding right?

2w4s said:
trail work is for people who can't ride ruts and broken down lips. Maybe if you spent more time learning to ride messed up trails you wouldn't have to spend time digging. "oh, look at me building sweet berm turns and lips and trannies, i'm so cool...." ;)
This has to be THE MOST STUPID post I have ever seen on this site.
TG

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Dusty Bottoms said:
I've got about 6 full days of work under my belt in the new year, here in the southern Santa Monica's. Cleaned up a couple existing trails, started work on a new addition on Saturday, and yesterday dug out a new ravine gap on a popular high speed trail in the area. I'll post pics of me stacking on it as soon as the tranny is done.
where are you diggin' Dusty?

i saw some people on j-drop a coupla weeks back, clearing out some brush, we just rode by and in the heat of the downhill rush didn't even think about stopping and chatting a little bit..
if it was you it's much appreciated, props for maintaining the local stuff.

we'll be out this week, improving the "new line" in the canyon

cheers

·
Three Wheeler Expert
342 Posts
if you guys need any digging help, i would be down to help in ventura county. I 15 but i have been building trails and tracks since i was 10. call me if u need any help
758 8466 johnny

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
blender said:
where are you diggin' Dusty?

i saw some people on j-drop a coupla weeks back, clearing out some brush, we just rode by and in the heat of the downhill rush didn't even think about stopping and chatting a little bit..
if it was you it's much appreciated, props for maintaining the local stuff.

we'll be out this week, improving the "new line" in the canyon

cheers
Yep, that was me and Mac. Your line in the canyon is fun. I never build in there thinking the work will go to waste when they scrape.

Keep your eye out on jedi, that's where we were working on Sunday. I have a whole list of old and new trails in the area that need brush clearance.

·
Trying a little
1,781 Posts
Call me lazy but if I knew what to build and where I would fork over the necessary $$$ for some dayworkers ( found at corner of Kanan and Agoura for example ) and build some pimpin stuff with a full crew of diggers. Cheaper than lift tickets and get to practice your Spanish.

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Cool man..

do you have any info on when they're planningon bulldozing the Canyon?
we're planning on putting in quite a bit of shovel work on that line, have some crazy ideas, but if they tear the trail down soon, then what's the point.

i've been looking for info, but can't find anything.

cheers

Dusty Bottoms said:
Yep, that was me and Mac. Your line in the canyon is fun. I never build in there thinking the work will go to waste when they scrape.

Keep your eye out on jedi, that's where we were working on Sunday. I have a whole list of old and new trails in the area that need brush clearance.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
blender said:
Cool man..

do you have any info on when they're planningon bulldozing the Canyon?
we're planning on putting in quite a bit of shovel work on that line, have some crazy ideas, but if they tear the trail down soon, then what's the point.

i've been looking for info, but can't find anything.

cheers
You two went by us on freeride bikes on J yeah? - J is done, and Dusty and I did a LOT of work on Will Rogers in the last year (as did Corba)

I don't think anybody knows if/when the upper part of Sully will get dozed, but it IS likely to happen - I don't think anybody is ok with an exposed gas pipeline (and nobody is going to bury it by hand...) - rumor was there was a halt because of bird breeding in the upper? if so it could take them a while to sort it all out....

if you built the drop to double to step-up, the drop is silky smooth, but the double seems a bit close to the step up (still forward from the landing of the double when you are hitting the step up) - if it were moved back a few feet it might work better? - just a thought, the stuff in the cyn is a lot of fun, efforts are appreciated...

·
= dirt torpedo =
1,210 Posts
Thx for the info Mac, yea that was my buddy on a Stinky and me on the Dirtbag.

we built the drop tranny, some others started work on that double and stepup.

You're totally right, it's too tight right now, and makes it pretty hard to hit on bigger bikes... sooo we plan to change it up, to allow for more speed and flow.

Probably make that double into a big fatty table, to a roller stepup.. then into a wall berm on the right, and then build a big assed 10-12 footer double at the very end, with a smooth tranny that connects back with the trail

stay tuned :cool:

macrider said:
You two went by us on freeride bikes on J yeah? - J is done, and Dusty and I did a LOT of work on Will Rogers in the last year (as did Corba)

I don't think anybody knows if/when the upper part of Sully will get dozed, but it IS likely to happen - I don't think anybody is ok with an exposed gas pipeline (and nobody is going to bury it by hand...) - rumor was there was a halt because of bird breeding in the upper? if so it could take them a while to sort it all out....

if you built the drop to double to step-up, the drop is silky smooth, but the double seems a bit close to the step up (still forward from the landing of the double when you are hitting the step up) - if it were moved back a few feet it might work better? - just a thought, the stuff in the cyn is a lot of fun, efforts are appreciated...

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
blender said:
Thx for the info Mac, yea that was my buddy on a Stinky and me on the Dirtbag.

You're totally right, it's too tight right now, and makes it pretty hard to hit on bigger bikes... sooo we plan to change it up, to allow for more speed and flow.

Probably make that double into a big fatty table, to a roller stepup.. then into a wall berm on the right, and then build a big assed 10-12 footer double at the very end, with a smooth tranny that connects back with the trail

SicK!!! But if you would just learn how to ride sh!tty singletrack with no fun features you wouldn't have to bother with all this ghey trail work. look for it >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>;)

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
blender said:

The tranny drop was stupid smooth - felt like the bike never left the ground

your goals sound good for that section - and I think as long as you build knowing SOMEDAY it's going to get bulldozed, you won't feel so bad when it happens....

as for boring singletrack 2w4s, I'm looking! I'm looking!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.