Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've seen and read all about your rim, hub, spoke, and nipple preferences...let's see some pics of your custom, or factory wheels! I'm building up a new set so I'll leave pics when their built...

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
Wow, that's the first pic of an i9 J spoke wheel I've seen built. Not a typical build with xrays and xtr on a mav hub. Nice.

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
oh....xl_cheese...you got grease on the carpet. your wife is gonna be pissed....

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My latest concoction

You hit me in my soft spot with this wheels post.

I did have reasons for building them this way but I don't want to talk about it.

Rims: Bontrager Race Disc 28 hole

Spokes:
Front wheel: Disc side-Wheelsmith ACE3 bladed 2.3-3.1x0.9-2.0 (brake pulling), Sapim CXray bladed 2.0-2.3x2.0-0.9 (brake 'pushing'). Cross 3. Non-disc side-Sapim Race round butted 2.0-1.8. Radial.
Rear wheel: Drive side-Wheelsmith ACE3 bladed 2.3-3.1x0.9-2.0 (drive pulling), Sapim CXray bladed 2.0-2.3x2.0-0.9 (drive 'pushing'). Cross 3. Non-drive side-Sapim Race round butted 2.0-1.8. Radial.

Hubs: Shimano XTR 28 hole slotted for ACE3s.

Nipples: DT Swiss alloy.

Attachments

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
Ooohhh.... I've done a "bladed pushing, round pulling" combination on a previous build. Kind of a pain in the butt until I figured out that as long as all of the spokes in one direction were at an even tension, the spokes in the other direction would naturally tension appropriately.

In my case, I was going for a visual effect, hoping that the black bladed spokes would dominate over the silver round spokes, giving a "fan" appearance.

Didn't work out that way. Might have if I'd used silver bladed and black round. Oh well, neat (and expensive) experiment, won't be doing it again.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wood.

I do not know about you, but I've got Wood:

Wolfhound 29er, Phil Wood Kiss-Off SS Disc Hubs, Velocity VXC rims, DT Swiss DB Competition spokes.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
some of my old wheels

some of my old stuff from the glory days:

mooto X YBB (2nd one):

Racer X 29er Aluminum

Exogrid Titus 29er SS:

Exogrid Titus 29er RX

That's the short list.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
my newest, just arrived today. 36H Blunts. I'll have a frame for them to go on soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts