Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Thanks for taking the time to check up on me here. I'm having a 29er hardtail built up. Its going to be by a well known company which does either Ti or steel. Either way they still carry the lifetime warranty. That's right a lifetime warranty from a custom shop!

So my question to you is - For $800 more does anyone think its worth the extra cash for the Ti. Could it really be that much stiffer than the steel? It's also worth noting that I'm looking at a 26" TT and 19+" on the seat stays. I'm tired of feeling like I'm constantly wheeling off my 18.5" seat stays.

Pro's / Con's

Greatly appreciated!!!

·
Rider and Wrench
1,478 Posts
Somebody's going to have a heart attack when they see that you want longer than 18.5 chainstays...

As far as ti being "stiffer" than steel...mmm not so sure- too many variables. Since you are having the frame built custom I can only guess that they will take your weight, ride style etc... into consideration when selecting the tubing- you would have to check with them on that note as there are limitations on both ti and Steel (what kind). For what it is worth I have hopped on non custom ti bikes (no rider weight etc... in mind beyond obvious S, M, L...) and while they were "bling" it was hard to say they offered everything I imagined a ti frame could- over built for a jockey and under built for a true clyde... just my observation, but from this I can't imagine spending the cash on a ti frame that was made for Joe the Plumber.

The benefit of steel is of course price but the ti should offer a bit lighter frame all else equal and resistance to rust etc... Ride wise I cannot give you any feedback as other than research, short test rides and eyeing them up I have always stuck with steel on my personal stuffs, so others will have to guide you on the "feel" of steel vs ti-

·
Registered
584 Posts
Personally I prefer steel and I am a clyde. I haven't broken my custom steel which has a 27'' TT and 19.5 stays. I did break a Lemond Ti road frame a few years ago and many aluminum. The great thing about steel is that if you break it, it can be ground down re-welded and re-painted (the Ti may be as well, im not sure). Plus it is a lot less expensive.
I love the ride of the Renolds 853 steel as well.

·
i also unicycle
2,043 Posts
i have a roadie customer who's 6'8" 296lbs, and got a huge zinn bike last season, and was told that the minor weight savings for ti wasn't worth it in such a big frame as it would be too flexy, unless they used super huge tube sizes which would negate the weight difference.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I recently was able to throw a leg over a Ti Mooto X "Clyde" edition and really liked it. If you can get a Ti frame for $800 more and it's got a lifetime warranty and you don't change your taste on bikes all that often, I'd go for the Ti. Ti = lifetime investment. That'll be my next bike material.

I really don't think you can lose either way on a custom bike though.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ti is not stiffer than steel, it is lighert with similar strength and compliance characteristics. Sounds like you are building a very big bike, so the weight savings could be significant. As another poster commented, a custom ti bike will be a lifetime bike if you want it to be. Steel is of course suceptable to rust but there are ways to combat it. If money was no object I would buy Ti. It is hard to judge whether or not the upgrade is "worth" $800 - that really depends on what you are looking for in the bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bunyan said:
I recently was able to throw a leg over a Ti Mooto X "Clyde" edition and really liked it. If you can get a Ti frame for $800 more and it's got a lifetime warranty and you don't change your taste on bikes all that often, I'd go for the Ti. Ti = lifetime investment. That'll be my next bike material.

I really don't think you can lose either way on a custom bike though.
There's a Ti XXL Titus in the classified. Its a 26 Motolite. Check it out. I gotta keep w/ the 29er.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guy. I appreciate all of your 2 cents!

I'm going steel. The lifetime warranty applies to either material. And the $800 savings is the difference in drivetrains. Also the steel I'm told will only be 1 - 1.3 lbs heavier. I can drop that much off before the ride, if ya know what I mean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.