Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently reminded of how much fun a steel hardtail can be thanks to $65 used Jamis Dragon frame. Previously been mostly riding aluminum for the past 10+ years. So I am looking for a new steel frame for recreational cyldesdale trail riding in the northeast (rocky, roots, hills, mud, clay & sand). I'd love to get some feeback from anyone who has ridden or currently rides any of the below steel geared frames. Would be going back & forth between a 80-100 suspension fork and a susp. correct rigid fork. My goal is to stay around $300 for the frame.

• Soma Groove - Reynolds 631
  • On-One Inbred geared - DN6 cromo
  • Zion 660 - 4130 (Jenson house brand)
  • Nashbar Signature - 853 blend
]

Thanks for any advise. - Scott

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I am a steel riding clyde...

myself, going on seven yrs. I am also in the North east. I think the Jamis Dragon frame you have is probably better than any of those frames you listed. At the very least its as good (I have one too:thumbsup: ) as the best of your choices. So why get any of those frames?.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I had a Dragon in the past too, not sure why I sold it! Very nice riding frame. I have an Inbred now, setup singlespeed. Its ok, not as lively and light as the Dragon but a nice bike for the price. I seen the Soma but not ridden it.

I'd pay to have the Dragon painted up and spend the money you save on really nice wheels.

MC

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
the groove looks nice.

also check out the on one 456. as a 'clyde'...i guess i was always a little timid around the thinner tubed steel bikes.

i bought a used surly instigator. it's *very* nice for me.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am 6' 2" 200 lbs and have been very pleased with the Nashbar 853 frame in the 21.5 inch size.The Rocky Mountain Blizzard and the Nashbar appear to be made in the same Taiwan factory with the same build quality and near identical geometry.The Nashbar has fatter shaped chainstays than the RM and a much lower price,especially on sale with a coupon code.The seat tube is 32mm-fatter than the Jamis with a rear disc brace the Jamis lacks,making it more Clyde friendly. The Nashbar is one of the best cycling bargains ever!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I just started riding my new Karate Monkey on the trails here in the SF Bay Area... I love it. I used to ride an aluminum trek 26er, and after a few hours of riding my hands would just feel beaten down. Not so on this steel 29er. It helps that I am running big tires (exiwolf 2.3) at pretty low PSI. I weigh 300lbs... the monkey is plenty tough.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.