Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to race in the Clydesdale class which is 220+. My trail wieght will be around 235 including gear and water.

Do any of you race and what would you recommend?

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
NoTubes Arch rim, 14g spokes with brass nips, AmClassic hubs (NoTubes ZTRs for budget). This is assuming a little extra weight won't be noticed and stiffness is paramount.

A lighter but slightly less stiff option is the NoTubes Crest or 355 rim and 14/15g butted spokes with alloy nips. I weigh 170lb and use this as an all mountain wheelset. It gets more abuse than an XC course dishes out.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention spoke count cuz no one uses 36 anymore and, being over 150lbs, I never think of 28.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
For racing? Tough question.

I have two really big, fast riding buddies. One is 205#, the other is 220#. The 220 pounder races Expert. But they both run CrossMaxxes.

Because of the huge impact loading from their high mass combined with high speed (E=1/2mv**2; velocity is the dominant variable there, because it's squared), I'd say these guys are great test subjects for wheels.

They might tear up a rear cross max every other season, but that's about it. Probably a couple of broken spokes per season as well.

They think that having the light weight is worth the cost and maintenance.

One thing they won't skimp out on though is tires. At least a 700 gram minimum if running tubeless. The 220 guy will only run the heavy UST's now. Tired of flatting out of races.

·
Registered
692 Posts
when I was a clyde I used a custom set of DT240s with 819s on double butted spokes with alloy nipples. My high weight was 210. While I was losing weight I rode crossmax slrs without issue too. My 819 set is now my adventure/freeride wheelset and I keep the SLRs for race season.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I am right at 212, but did alot of riding at and racing at 220 last year. I have a set of BWW DT 4.2 32 hole that have held up great.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm 6'5" and around 195, race and train on stans flows. I'd recommend the flow over the arch if you're hard on wheels. Stiffer, wider, and stronger than the arch. 3 good things for someone who isn't a lightweight. The difference in weight between the rims isn't all that great.

·
bike rider
5,569 Posts
tiflow_21 said:
I'm 6'5" and around 195, race and train on stans flows. I'd recommend the flow over the arch if you're hard on wheels. Stiffer, wider, and stronger than the arch. 3 good things for someone who isn't a lightweight. The difference in weight between the rims isn't all that great.
I agree unless you are racing smoothish courses on 2.0 or 2.1 tires. I'd probably skip the Arch and go 355 for lightweight use with skinny tires or Flows for siffness and 2.2" or bigger tires.
I use 355s on my XC bike and Flows on my FR bike and DH race only wheels. I'm lighter so the 355s get by.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts