Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Model of Grace and Tact
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any big boys on X-5's here? I'm 6'2" and 220-230lbs depending on how much I've been riding. I've got 5" rockers w/Romic, a 600lb spring and about 2.5 turns (half a turn too many) to get the bike where I like it.

What weight spring are you on? How many turns do you have on it? 5" or 6" rocker?

Fruita w/ 6" rockers. I just recently switched to the 5's

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
Probably half the folks here on X-5s are clydes, seems like. I'm borderline, weighing 205 in the Spring and dropping (despite my best efforts) to 195 by mid-summer, at 6' tall. I'm also on a 600# Romic spring, with just the minimum of pre-load the keep it quiet. My sag is probably closer to 25% rather than 33%, but it works well for me. FWIW, I'm on 3-4-5 rockers, at the 5" setting. Anyone want to trade straight across for plain old 5" rockers?
- Joe

·
Registered
19 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
FWIW, I'm on 3-4-5 rockers, at the 5" setting. Anyone want to trade straight across for plain old 5" rockers?
Is there something you don't like about the 3-4-5 rockers or do you just not use them?

I'm on the fence about whether to go 4 or 5 inch on a new FS bike, and was thinking about an X5 or Salty with the adjustable rockers. Just curious if you see any drawbacks to them, and that's why you'd like to swap them out.

TIA

·
Basura Blanca
1,796 Posts
Vanity & Weight. When I first got the bike, I wanted to keep up-front costs down and use the 105mm XVert that I'd had on my '00 El Salt. Figured I ought to keep the back end at 4" to keep it matched to the front, but wanted the option to move up to 5" eventually. So I had Larry order it with the adjustable rockers (it was like an extra $100? dunno). But with it in the 4" setting, it seemed like the BB was lower than I was used to on the El Salt, and I moved it up to 5" and never looked back. It might have made the steering a bit quicker, but that's how I like it. I've since got a Vanilla 125RL (20th anniversary present from my wonderful wife) and retired the XVert Air, and I don't see myself ever using the reduced travel options. So i"d prefer the cleaner look and reduced weight of the standard rockers. FWIW,
- Joe

·
Registered
945 Posts
I'm 6ft, 220, 230-235lbs with full camelbak. I'm on a 600lb spring also and like it quite a bit. 550lb was too wallowy on the uphills. 5" rockers here, I forgot how many turns I have but its probably more than suggested.

-Sp

Scary Mc said:
Any big boys on X-5's here? I'm 6'2" and 220-230lbs depending on how much I've been riding. I've got 5" rockers w/Romic, a 600lb spring and about 2.5 turns (half a turn too many) to get the bike where I like it.

What weight spring are you on? How many turns do you have on it? 5" or 6" rocker?

Fruita w/ 6" rockers. I just recently switched to the 5's

·
Tame the Penguin!
1,082 Posts
Cydesdales unite

Scary Mc said:
I'm 6'1" @ 220 lbs without the camelback full of crash gear.

I'm riding my X5 with 6" rockers, a 8"x2.25 Romic with a 600# spring and I have no idea how many turns....most likely more than 2.5. I would like to try a 650# or 700# spring as I'm getting too much pedal induced 'bob' even with the Bob Knob cranked down. But, instead, I'm going with a 7.875"x2.25 Vanilla RC that's been Push'd and then I'll start playing with springs, but I'll most likely start out with a 600# . If that works out, I'll go with a Ti spring to drop a little weight.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.