Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Was just wondering if any of you are primarily interested in long distance mountain bike events? I noticed that most of the discussions on bikes/equipment seem to be focused on jumps and drops. I'm getting a little long in the tooth to take those kinds of risks! The reason that I ask is that I'm getting interested in doing endurance events and am looking for a FS replacement for my hardtail(It just wore out...no failure). Been to 2 local shops and got a couple of different recommendations on bikes. I like the Trek Remedy as a bike for this type of event. Shop #1 says: too much travel, not efficient enough, too much bob, stick with a shorter travel Fuel EX or something in the 4" travel range. Shop #2 says: You are big guy, we'd like to see you on a burly bike for parts durability. They point out the a bigger guy can handle a heavier bike better than a smaller guy. Makes sense to me. Anyway, I'm 45, 6'3", 250lbs. I've ridden a Giant Trance and a Haro Xenon. I liked the Haro really well because it soaked up anything in its way. It seemed a little sluggish in the handling department and I don't know how it would feel after a day in the saddle. The interesting thing about the Remedy is that it has adjustable travel fork but I don't know whether the rear shock had the same feature. Also, any recommendations you might make for bikes suitable for big guy interested in endurance events would be appreciated.

Just realized that I got a little windy. Thanks for any replies
Mark

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
I swear by my Trance X1 especially for longer events .

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've ridden my Cinco (5x5) in the Dakota Five-O twice, so not 100 miles each time, but a long distance one none the less.

It works fine and isn't a problem if you're racing occasionally. But this year, we're doing a 24 hour race and I am wanting to get a 29'er for that type of event.

So, in a convoluted way, yes a 5+ inch travel bike will work, but if you're going to be racing a lot, I'd go with something like a 29'er hardtail and/or short travel 29'er.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Have you considered a 29er? You should find the following to borrow/test ride... a geared hardtail 29er preferably steel, and a 4 inch or so travel 29er. The Niner Rip would be great since it uses a low leverage ratio ( I ride one and weigh about what you do)

The Remedy is a lot of bike (travel-wise) if your focusing on endurance stuff.. great bike to have in addition to your long ride bike though :)

If your set on 26 inch wheels the Giant Trance is a great bike, if you want something a little more boutique check out a pivot or santa cruz... several online shops do complete bike kits.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have a 2008 EX8 and love it. I primarily ride XC and have done a few endurance events on this bike and plan on doing many more. For the first six months on this bike I was up around 250lbs and it held up with no issues, as things wear up I upgrade to more durable components. I don't know anything about the 2010 Remedy or EX but someone was telling me that Trek introduced a new bike into the line up which replaced the Remedy and effectively turned the Remedy into the EX and the EX into more of a XC bike. So you might want to consider that the Remedy may or may not be more like the EX that I am currently recommending.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies. Now that you mentioned it, I've considered the 29er as well. The Niner Rip looks like a well made bike and there's a shop in my area that sells them. Might be able to test ride one. But I think they are built to customer specs. I can definitely test ride another Trance and the Fuel EX. I guess I'll steer clear of the Remedy as it sounds like more bike than I need. Funny thing is that all the online videos I've seen of the Remedy always show it in flight and off the ground! Anyone have any experience or thoughts with the Cannondale Rize? Thanks again, Mark

One last thing. I found out from Gary Fisher tech support is that their 29er the Super Fly 100 has a 300lb rider weight limit. Quite surprising for a racing type bike

·
Registered
983 Posts
I'm 220lbs right now and ride a 2010 Fuel EX8. I love the bike. At 250lbs you will be pretty much maxing our the rear shock. With me, the travel was a concern, as I figured that since I was bigger then the average bike rider, I was going to have more issues with pedal bob. I would think a 5" travel bike is gonna have even more pedal bob then the 4" travel EX series.

-Tom

·
In the rear with the beer
1,314 Posts
I float between 205 and 225 and do primarily endurance events (doing my 1st 24 solo in Feb). Been riding a Yeti 575 which works wonders. Lightest...no. Fastest...no. But its comfortable, is very unlikely to break and can do all I ask of it. LBS owner agreed. I went in looking for a new bike with Leaville in mind, but also wanted to be able to use it for everyday riding. He told me I couldn't go wrong with the 575. 5 lbs of extra bike are nothing compared to the 30 extra lbs sitting on my body!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm 6'4", 245 - 250. I've been riding my 08 stumpjumper fsr elite for 2 years, very similar style bike to the fuel ex, I love it. I ride mostly technical xc, have done the Test Of Metal in Squamish, B.C twice, it's 67 kilometres. I think it's the perfect style bike for that type of event, comfortable, and capable when the terrain gets tech. I couldn't do a hardtail on that type of terrain anymore, it would take all the fun away for me.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mbaulfinger said:
Hey Guys, Thanks for all the replies. Now that you mentioned it, I've considered the 29er as well. The Niner Rip looks like a well made bike and there's a shop in my area that sells them. Might be able to test ride one. But I think they are built to customer specs. I can definitely test ride another Trance and the Fuel EX. I guess I'll steer clear of the Remedy as it sounds like more bike than I need. Funny thing is that all the online videos I've seen of the Remedy always show it in flight and off the ground! Anyone have any experience or thoughts with the Cannondale Rize? Thanks again, Mark

One last thing. I found out from Gary Fisher tech support is that their 29er the Super Fly 100 has a 300lb rider weight limit. Quite surprising for a racing type bike
Just more FYI,
Cannondale Rush, Rush Carbon and the Rize all rated for a 300lb rider or 305 total rider and luggage. The Rize 120 is what replaced the Rush

I expect many of the manufactures have a similar weight limit.

FWIW I am 6-6 192lbs on a Carbon Rush

Good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, The new Rize 140 looks like it would be perfect for longer races. Even Cdale's adds are calling it the Swiss Army knife of bicycles. I'd definitely like to test ride one of those when the weather breaks

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm a big boy who races endurance events. I used to ride a 26" epic. I replaced it with a kona hei-hei 2-9r. I love the efficient platform and it will take some big hits. I tried to punish it in Pisgah last fall, it just said bring it.

·
Go make a difference
1,249 Posts
mike51robo said:
I'm a big boy who races endurance events. I used to ride a 26" epic. I replaced it with a knoa hei-hei 2-9r. I love the efficient platform and it will take some big hits. I tried to punish it in Pisgah last fall, it just said bring it.
Yea baby! I think I know what you're talking about :thumbsup:

To the OP-- go with a 29er my friend. You will not be disaapointed. While I'm only at 6'-0" and 210, MikeRobo will tell ya, I ride hard and love the enduros. I have a Walt Works steel and a Salsa Dos Niner and love 'em both. the Salsa is my main ride and presently the WW is set up as a rigid SS with drop bar (not sure how long the drop bar will last).

Don't be afraid of cost in considering custom -- call Walt Works and he'll take good care of ya for a reasonable amount of money.

·
You down with entropy?
340 Posts
I have a Titus motolite and even keep it in the 5" travel mode

I am thinking about a 29er as well, but for now that is the bike i will be racing the endurance events on. last year it was a 100, 48 and a 12 hour.
this year hopefully 2-3 100's I really doubt that I will be getting a new bike this year but you never know. For that i am looking a Titus rockstar or a blowout racer x 29er

the key is yo go out and have fun. if you could get a longer test ride in on any bike that might help rule out what might be too much

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Mmm......well, heavy is heavy, no matter how big you are. I did a ride a couple of dozen over 100 on a FS bike set up for my weight, and never did it again. Went back to a solidly built hardtail. Not like it was a massive difference, but five pounds feels like 500 after 50 miles.

I agree on a 29'r, the extra rolling momentum will help you on the long rides.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ride a newer EX, and it has held up great. FWIW, I have quite a few pounds on you, and haven't gotten close to maxing out the pressure on the Fox shock (300 psi max should work for someone well over 300 lbs on the EX).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for all the great advice. I'm really surprised at how many clydes are into the longer events. Actually when I posted the question about clyde worthy bikes for endurance events I was also trying to get a feel for my own chances for successfully completing a long race. You guys have given me alot of inspiration to train for and get involved in some of my local endurance events. Thanks again, Mark

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Take a look at the tires your bike comes with. Depending on what you get stock, take a look at WTB Velociraptors. I swear by 'em. Knobby enough to get good traction on climbs, narrow enough to give you enough of a speed boost, good stuff, great for the long rides. My LBS guy was actually kinda mad at me, he ordered a half dozen sets (front and rear specific) figuring he'd sell five and use one himself, since I talked them up to him. Nahhhh.......I walked in and bought all six sets. Popular tires now, so you'll be able to find them everywhere, shop you get your bike at might have a set and swap you out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
+1 on 29er! At 6'4" and 210 pounds, I was skeptical of doing endurance events as well. Peer pressure led me to try a 100K and a 100miler, both on my GF Superfly 29er HT. Races both went great and felt good after both of them. Its like everyone else says: the big wheels just smooth things out and the Ht is just reliable and tough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts