Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride a 06 Rush 5 and really need to upgrade my wheels. Im 240 and ride rolling single track in NE and IA. No drops or rocks.

I am willing to sacrifice weight for really stiff strong rims. But I dont want to haul around big clukers. I would like to stay around the $500 dollar range, but my bike shop is trying to sell me $850 Crossmaxes. I will spend the money but I dont want to drop that much if they suck.

What should I buy or build?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
You can get a set of Hope Pro2 wheels using DT Swiss 5.1 or the like for under $500 dollars. Chainreaction was selling Hope Wheelsets for 320, and I know Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn. High can build you a set under $500. You could always you the Hope Pro2 and DT E540. Nice, hand built, light, and strong.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Or Pro II's and Mavic 819's will do. I'm a similar weight and ride everything from XC to some occasional jaunts at the local ski hill/bike park (not Whistler, but more aggressive than what's on the local trails). They've proven strong enough for my abuse.

Mine built up (my first build) amazingly true and have managed to stay true through a lot of miles and some not so smooth riding....I think I spent about $500 CDN to do it too. Definitely worth a look.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What about Azonic Outlaws?

According to Pricepoint, the weights are front-1190g; rear-1360g. Not the lightest, but they are built solid. Nice price too.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
MaddSquirrel said:
You can get a set of Hope Pro2 wheels using DT Swiss 5.1 or the like for under $500 dollars. Chainreaction was selling Hope Wheelsets for 320, and I know Chad @ Red Barn or Larry @ Mtn. High can build you a set under $500. You could always you the Hope Pro2 and DT E540. Nice, hand built, light, and strong.
+1 on the ProII and 5.1s hand built - although I would go to chad at red barn, great builder.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
333 Posts
Toddster said:
What about Azonic Outlaws?

According to Pricepoint, the weights are front-1190g; rear-1360g. Not the lightest, but they are built solid. Nice price too.
like em alot...got cheap...checked while at the bike shop...came straight and still are true after one season on a hard tail...

·
Registered
445 Posts
300lbs rider and I have had good luck with the Following

Sun ryno lites xl
Halo Freedom disc (29er) but make them in 26
mavic 823 tubeless rims (still have and willing to sell)

I would say spend more money or your rear hub for higher engaugement and it will just last longer. Stay a way from shimano hubs they suck. try for a Hope, Chris King, dt swiss, hadley.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
CrossMaxxes, ugh. Dead feeling rims, not so stiff wheels.

The Azonics are a Stiff/heavy option, but since you are not hucking they may be overkill. I'd personally go with a Hope hub or similar, DT Swiss 5.1s or similar rim. DT Comp spokes should round out the build.

I can personally recommend Larry @ Mountain high Cyclery, he built my last wheelset. The only other builder I can recommend is Gravy at Gravywheels in Fairfax, CA. Gravy is the best. Seriously.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am 260Lbs and was riding SunRims Big Mammoth Fat 36H. Undestructable rims! but they weighed in at 705gr for just the rim alone and are super wide. They were laced to Shimano Deore m525 hubs. The hubs are very low quality. Paid the combo $200.00 new.

This year, since I am bulding a new Banshee Scirocco, I decided to get a new wheelset. I wanted one that would not have to be upgraded in a year. I went with Hope Pro II hubs and Mavic EX 729D 36H Rims with DT Swiss Competition Spokes. It costed me $800.00 CND but well worth it.

http://www.mavic.com/mtb/products/ex-729-disc.995014.2.aspx

I had placed the order with DT Swiss 6.1D rims, but when I read the bad reviews on all DT Swiss rims (saying that they use a very supple/weak aluminum and bend very easily) I called in and promptly had them change the rims for the Mavic.

Now I am confident I have the best setup for my weight. :eekster:

·
Registered
63 Posts
my set-up

I ride in Chico, SD, Santa Rosa or Redding. Chico on a regular basis, which is really rocky, tons of sharp edges. I used to have a xc-type rim, but just recently got some Chris King HD Hubs with fun-bolts laced to 36-hole mavic ex823's. They're bomber. The shop suggested 4-crossing them, and so far they've been superstout. I'm 285 on a Turner RFX, if it helps. I used to true the old wheels after every ride in Chico. They were a 32-hole wtb xc set-up though. Since getting my new wheels i haven't had to true them even once... I love 'em, and I bet you would too.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
+3 on the Hope Pro II on DT Swiss 5.1d.
I also recommend the Stans Flows with Hadley's.
Make sure you get the steel free hub body upgrade (free if you ask for it).
Much needed for guys our size.

I have the hadleys. LOVE EM!
Quieter than Kings, Hope and God forbid. I9s!

·
Registered
279 Posts
eokerholm said:
+3 on the Hope Pro II on DT Swiss 5.1d.

Make sure you get the steel free hub body upgrade (free if you ask for it).
Much needed for guys our size.
That is totally not true. I spoke to Hope Tech and he said the only reason they made the steel freehub upgrade is because people were using cheap cassettes that don't have a center hub to hold all the cassette gears together. The seperate gears end up eating through the aluminum hub and then it's a pain to remove the cassette. The last few gears are to tall to cause any damage.

I wanted to get the upgrade but he told me to save my cash for something else as it was a $100.00 upgrade here in Canada.

Thx

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
gdl357 said:
That is totally not true. I spoke to Hope Tech and he said the only reason they made the steel freehub upgrade is because people were using cheap cassettes that don't have a center hub to hold all the cassette gears together. The seperate gears end up eating through the aluminum hub and then it's a pain to remove the cassette. The last few gears are to tall to cause any damage.

I wanted to get the upgrade but he told me to save my cash for something else as it was a $100.00 upgrade here in Canada.

Thx
I think he was saying the HADLEY set has the free upgrade.

As for the HOPE, mine was gouged after riding a year with a SRAM PG990 cassette - I don't know that SRAM makes one any less cheap that that one.

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
gdl357 said:
You know, I just looked at a thread with a Pro 2 Hub rebuild and it does show some indentations of the last 3 gears which are on their own.

I may buy this upgrade just for the hell of it.
Ding, Ding! That's what I had on my entire XT cassette from my Hadleys and sent it in for warranty repair as it took 2 chain wips to get the cassette off the hub. Came back free of charge.

When I ordered my new set for my 29er. Asked for it, well demanded it, also came free from Hadley.

Wouldn't ride anything else as far as freehub body.

Really like the hadleys. Quiet, strong, still blingy now with more color choices (just like the Hopes do now too), but quieter than them and Kings.

I9s might be blingy, but so freakin annoying loud. :madmax: When I demo'd a wheelset on a demo bike with them...wouldn't buy them at all. So annoying and talk about pricey.:madman: :madmax:

·
Registered
345 Posts
American Classics? I'm 213lbs at this time and have a 29 er set. I like them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts