Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gotten the green light to buy a new Bike. I am in a toss-up between a Gary Fisher Pirhana and a Kona Hoss. The dealer I always go to is not a Kona dealer, so if I purchased from another dealer I will feel the same as cheating on my wife! I really like the Hoss. Do you think the Gary Fisher will hold up my 300lb butt??

I need advice

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm also considering the Kona Hoss as well as the GF Tassajara Disc, Specialized Hardrock Pro Disc and the Rockhopper comp disc.

The Hoss and specialized models seem like they have a more robust frame than the GF models, so if you're really worried about that I would go with the Hoss. If your dealer doesn't regularly stock it ask them if they can special order it for you.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Get the Hoss

While I can understand your loyalty to the LBS, you'd be buying the bike for the wrong reason. You need to buy the right bike for your needs, and the Hoss is the way to go. While the Piranha is a nice bike, the component spec on the Hoss is slightly better, the Hoss frame was designed for heavier riders, and the Manitou Axel on the Pirhana has 28 mm stanchions will probably feel pretty flexy at your weight. The Marzocchi DJ Comp on the Hoss has 32 mm stanchions and will be more suited to a clyde, IMO.

To me, it's no contest. Get the Hoss.

Bob

·
Registered
696 Posts
Clyde's probably right. You'll probably need the stoutness of the Hoss' frame, and at 300 lbs, you won't even notice the tank-like weight of that beast.

FWIW, at my 220 lb weight, I'd by the Fisher. I wasn't impressed with the short cockpit and heavy weight of the Hoss. Those Genesis frames fit me pretty well. But after riding both, I ended up buying a Kikapu. Go figure.

Ian

·
long standing member
3,095 Posts
Combo said:
I have gotten the green light to buy a new Bike. I am in a toss-up between a Gary Fisher Pirhana and a Kona Hoss. The dealer I always go to is not a Kona dealer, so if I purchased from another dealer I will feel the same as cheating on my wife! I really like the Hoss. Do you think the Gary Fisher will hold up my 300lb butt??

I need advice
Definately the Hoss. I have the Hoss (I'm 250lbs) and my wife (140lbs) has the Pirahna. The GF is a good bike for the price and she loves it, but there is no way that I would trust her bike underneath me while riding off-road. Some reasons: wimpy fork and wheels, and the frame not nearly as beefy as the Hoss'. In my (admittedly uneducated) view, the Hoss seems to be purposefully over-engineered, which imo is a good thing.

I agree with you about wanting to deal with your regular LBS (I've been in the same position), but imho they would be doing you a dis-service even trying to sell you a stock Pirahna without suggesting that you immediately upgrade some parts. JMO, no disrespect to your lbs intended. Good luck with your decision.

Patrick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts