Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

220lbs here, rigid, recently converted back to SS, throwing down major torque. Wanting to replace my geared 36h XT/Flow/Sapim Race wheelset with a 36h SS wheelset that is even stiffer. Thinking Surly hubs and Sapim Strong spokes.

Wondering about rims. I'm considering the MTX 33, which might be overkill given I'm an XC rider who mostly keeps his wheels on the ground.

I'm wondering if there is some middle ground between the Flow and MTX. Flow EX is supposed to be stiffer than the Flow - is the difference appreciable? I'm thinking the Blunt 35 is not going to be noticeably stiffer than the Flow.

What about the Rhyno Lite?

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
Clyde forums as well. Couple o' thoughts. I'm running velocity p-35's on my karate monkey with a woodman rsn. That's a solid 15 mm axle ground down to 10 mm for the drops, 135mm width. I'm 235+ lbs and hub has been solid as well. No issues. What bike and rear axle width are you using? Looking for a dedicated ss hub?

·
Registered
Vassago Bandersnatch, Motobecane HAL Comp 27.5+
2,242 Posts
Rhyno Lite rims were considered stiff 10-15 years ago but there are stiffer nowadays, especially in 29er rims

The Flow EX has quite a bit more material in the rim on top of being wider, they would be stiffer than standard Flows...will you notice I don't know. I've owned Flows in the past and now own Blunt 35's, both are 32h (and I am 225#), both using Sapim Race spokes and the Blunts are noticeably stiffer even with slightly longer spokes. I also own WTB Laser TCS rims (21mm internal) rims on the same hubs as my Flows were but with Pillar 2.2/2/1.8/2 spokes and they feel similar. I'd be willing to bet the Frequency i25 rims are significantly stiffer than the Flows.

·
Frt Range, CO
2,576 Posts
I weigh the same as you and have been riding Flow EX for over a year in Moab and the front range, 32h with DT 2.0 straight gauge. Stiffest wheel I've ever ridden, makes tubeless very simple too. Rhyno lite and Mavic 319 aren't as stiff and weigh 100gms more.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clyde forums as well. Couple o' thoughts. I'm running velocity p-35's on my karate monkey with a woodman rsn. That's a solid 15 mm axle ground down to 10 mm for the drops, 135mm width. I'm 235+ lbs and hub has been solid as well. No issues. What bike and rear axle width are you using? Looking for a dedicated ss hub?
Not looking for hubs, thanks. This thread is about rims.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rhyno Lite rims were considered stiff 10-15 years ago but there are stiffer nowadays, especially in 29er rims.
Is this really true? What would make other rims significantly stiffer? Just width? Or depth, as well? Just curious, as I don't really understand it.

I will say the Rhyno Lites are very similar in dimension to my original Flows, and the rim profiles are not dramatically different, but the Rhyno Lites are a bit heavier and have eyelets -- I assumed this would make for a stiffer wheel.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Is this really true? What would make other rims significantly stiffer? Just width? Or depth, as well? Just curious, as I don't really understand it.

I will say the Rhyno Lites are very similar in dimension to my original Flows, and the rim profiles are not dramatically different, but the Rhyno Lites are a bit heavier and have eyelets -- I assumed this would make for a stiffer wheel.

Thanks.
Rim width has the most effect on lateral stiffness. Rim depth has the most effect on radial stiffness. Material is also a big factor. The amount of material can also make a difference but the first three are the biggest factor.

To me a Flow is just as stiff as a RhynoLite despite being lighter. I believe this is mostly due to the fact that it is deeper than the very shallow Rhynolite. Eyelets have absolutely nothing to do with stiffness and neither does spoke tension. I've owned both Sun Ringle Chargers and a Stans Flow wheelset and I actually thought the Chargers felt stiffer despite have 28 spokes to the Flows 32. Again the Charger rim is about the same width as the Flow but has a deeper profile.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rim width has the most effect on lateral stiffness. Rim depth has the most effect on radial stiffness. Material is also a big factor. The amount of material can also make a difference but the first three are the biggest factor.

To me a Flow is just as stiff as a RhynoLite despite being lighter. I believe this is mostly due to the fact that it is deeper than the very shallow Rhynolite. Eyelets have absolutely nothing to do with stiffness and neither does spoke tension. I've owned both Sun Ringle Chargers and a Stans Flow wheelset and I actually thought the Chargers felt stiffer despite have 28 spokes to the Flows 32. Again the Charger rim is about the same width as the Flow but has a deeper profile.
Thanks for the response. I've been thinking about spoke numbers in this equation, too. I have a line on a set of 32-spoke Hope/MTX wheels.

I'm hesitant to go 32-spoke, as I've been running 36-spoke wheels on all of my bikes for years. However, these wheels are built with thicker spokes, are much burlier rims, and the rear is SS, so far less dish -- these have got to be stiffer than my Flows, right?

It's not that I'm breaking spokes, it's that my wheels flex laterally under hard cornering and so my tires rub both my chainstays and my fork arch, despite having about 8mm of clearance at either end.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Thanks for the response. I've been thinking about spoke numbers in this equation, too. I have a line on a set of 32-spoke Hope/MTX wheels.

I'm hesitant to go 32-spoke, as I've been running 36-spoke wheels on all of my bikes for years. However, these wheels are built with thicker spokes, are much burlier rims, and the rear is SS, so far less dish -- these have got to be stiffer than my Flows, right?

It's not that I'm breaking spokes, it's that my wheels flex laterally under hard cornering and so my tires rub both my chainstays and my fork arch, despite having about 8mm of clearance at either end.
What axle interface are you using? Stiff wheels are great but a 9mm QR axle on a suspension fork is going to have flex in the front end (not from the wheel but from the fork). When I went from a 100mm Tora 318 fork (stiff cro-mo stanchions, but 9mm qr dropouts) to a 130mm Reba RLT (not as stiff alloy stanchions, BUT 20mm axle) the reduction in flex was amazing.

A big heavy MTX 33 rim is bomber stiff but if your using a 9mm qr axle on a suspension fork or even a light rigid fork then it's no mystery where the flex will come from.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What axle interface are you using? Stiff wheels are great but a 9mm QR axle on a suspension fork is going to have flex in the front end (not from the wheel but from the fork). When I went from a 100mm Tora 318 fork (stiff cro-mo stanchions, but 9mm qr dropouts) to a 130mm Reba RLT (not as stiff alloy stanchions, BUT 20mm axle) the reduction in flex was amazing.

A big heavy MTX 33 rim is bomber stiff but if your using a 9mm qr axle on a suspension fork or even a light rigid fork then it's no mystery where the flex will come from.
That was with a 9mm QR and an 80mm Reba. I'm going back to rigid, but still would like a bit more stiffness up front and out back (I can feel a bit of flex when I really crank).

I may go with the used 32-spoke Hope/MTX set. If not, at this point I'm thinking I'll have a 36-spoke Hope/Flow EX wheel built.

·
1,711 Posts
My WTB i23's were bulletproof and now i just had the new i25's built up. They are burly, nice and wide. I have Hope's laced to them. 2100 grams for the set.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
That was with a 9mm QR and an 80mm Reba. I'm going back to rigid, but still would like a bit more stiffness up front and out back (I can feel a bit of flex when I really crank).

I may go with the used 32-spoke Hope/MTX set. If not, at this point I'm thinking I'll have a 36-spoke Hope/Flow EX wheel built.
32 spoke will be ok if you go with something like Sapim Strong spokes. I'd also go with the through bolt option on the front hub. With a rigid fork that should be pretty stiff.

BTW I am 225# so I'm hearing you on the stiffness thing. I'm pretty happy with Blunt 35's on my full rigid as far as lateral stiffness but I do use Sapim Race spokes for a little radial compliance.

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the Derby carbon rims. Mike at lacemine29 built my first wheel set and also recommended 36h with triple butted spokes to build a more durable wheel at close to the same weight as a 32h built. So I ended up with FlowEx and Hope 2 Evo hubs

I needed a new rear wheel for my new frame since it's a 150mm spacing and had him build me a set with DTSwiss 350 hubs and the Derby rims. Even though the DT350 are heavier than the Hope hubs, I was surprised the new wheelset is about 1/3 lb lighter.

I vary from 190 to 210 without gear.

·
This place needs an enema
17,431 Posts
Not much difference in stiffness between Flow, Flow EX, and Rhyno Lite, assuming all else is identical.

MTX 33's are *the* go-to rim if you want stiff/strong/indestructo.

Salsa Semi's fit somewhere between MTX and the other 3. They build into super durable wheels.

P35's are also a good choice, especially if you want the added squaring-off of your tire profile.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I run MTX 33's tubeless with split tube ghetto method. 19 psi in the front without burps; need about 24 psi in rear to keep from burping. Maxxis 2.5" DHF Exo TR are the tires. I've also run 2.3" DHR 2 and 2.3" HR 2 in the rear and needed about 28 psi not to burp. The burping I got didn't significantly affect my ride, mainly just squirted a bit of sealant onto tire sidewall.

I'm about 185 pounds geared up.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.