Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to race in the Clydesdale class which is 220+. My trail wieght will be around 235 including gear and water.

Do any of you race and what would you recommend?

·
rock crusher
257 Posts
I am not a racer, so take my advice with a grain of salt...

Use a reliable wheel, worthy of your weight, and run a lower profile race tire, such as an SB8. Even better, run'em tubeless. I have wheeled 28 spoke 29er wheels under my 235# frame, but they are gonna fail, and gonna fail quickly. Races finished are always better than DNF's cause you broke your lightweight wheelset.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I don't race mountain bikes any more, but when I did my choice was hand built wheels with Mavic XC 717 32h rims and double butted spokes. With a good wheel builder, wheels with XC rims are plenty strong and nearly as light as $$$$ race wheels but much cheaper.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I race, lots. Not too many clyde races anymore. I got too fast. Mostly Sport or SS now, sometimes Expert class.
I weight 230# bare azzed naked.
My race bike has 29er Stans Arches rims, 32h Hope Pro II hubs, DT spokes, alloy nipples. I run them tubeless. These wheels have been bullet proof. I had them re-tensioned after a couple rides and then nothing after that. They have been through 30 - 40 races and a lot of training rides over the last year. I also never jump on these wheels.

Prior to last year, I just used my AM bike for racing. That bike has 26" Sun RhynoLite rims with XT hubs, straight gauge spokes. Heavy, but bullet proof. I have had to do very little to these wheels. I am not nice to these wheels. They have three years of use on them and are still running strong. I won a lot of beginner and clyde races on these wheels.

·
Clyde
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks.

The arch rims seems like a great choice. I have a had great luck with the ztr flows which look like a wider version of the same. What spokes did you go with DB 1.8 / 2.0 or TB 1.8/1.5/2.0 or SP 2.0? Brass or Alium nips.

Tires. I don't have a lots of expience with tires. I'm running MK 2.4 protects which are around 600gms. Anything in the 500 range that you like.

·
NormalNorm
935 Posts
240lb and raced on 819's and the Easton XC One's. Both are good, but the Easton's are lighter. I notice the weight difference between the two wheelsets.

Edit:I raced at 220lbs...too fat now at 240lbs!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts