Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
will hike for trail
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any clydesdales ride fat bikes? Good, bad or just cant ride the same conditions lighter brethren? And options to test ride Colorado northern front range to summit county. Thanks!

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Fatbikes were 'invented' FOR clydes. Gronewald's initial intention with the Wildfire Fatbike was to give bigger guys(and gals) the same amount of float that the skinny people were getting with snocat rims. When the wee folk realized how much float they could achieve with the monster truck tires, they jumped on it. Have at it, and enjoy.

·
is buachail foighneach me
6,589 Posts
Asking 907, Fatback or Pugs? is like asking Honda, Chevy or Volkswagen? in no particular order. Everyone is just going to say which one they prefer, which is obviously the Fatback....

100's will give you the most float, the least gears, and the most weight. Speedway's 70's will give you low weight and a lot of float, the Fat Sheba 80's are somewhere in between with weight, and only marginally more wide of a tire profile than the 70's. Large marge's are probably going to be the burliest, but heavy and narrower than the other choices.

·
will hike for trail
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Colorado. Some on the front range when snowing and cold, enough snow on dirt, ice, and rotting drifts to make a normal bike riding bad to pushing. Some at elevation near the ski areas, packed deep snow from xc skis, snowshoes and sleds. Could I ride groomed nordic trails after hours and not cut them up?

·
That Unicycle Guy
354 Posts
hackmonkey said:
Colorado. Some on the front range when snowing and cold, enough snow on dirt, ice, and rotting drifts to make a normal bike riding bad to pushing. Some at elevation near the ski areas, packed deep snow from xc skis, snowshoes and sleds. Could I ride groomed nordic trails after hours and not cut them up?
My guess is you would do minimal damage to set tracks but I would stay off them if you are not using XC skis. If there are skate-ski trails or snowshoe trails they might be nice for riding on.

·
no dabs
476 Posts
hackmonkey said:
I'm north of 260 lb with gear. trail damage is a function of tire pressure and snow conditions, more so than rider weight. You will only be able to ride traditional xc ski tracks without pissing someone off when the center ridge is gone, and the snow is on the icy side of ideal for skiing. lots of conditions where you wont punch up the track, but the tire is wider than the track, so it will cut into the side and the center ridge, which, even if it doesn't damage the trail at all, will piss off a lot of people.

you should be able to ride on groomed skate ski trails that have set up and do significantly less damage to the trail than the skate skiers, at a low enough pressure. Snow shoe tracks are completely rideable and more fun than ski trails for the MTBer (ski trails are a lot like road riding :D ). and you wont piss those trail users off.

The trails that had "some pushing" but were rideable with the regular bike will be an oasis of bike-walk-free riding with a fat bike.

·
Ologist
964 Posts
I put the 'dale' in clydesdale and ride 80s on a 2008 Ti Fatback up in AK. I imagine the 100s would work best for us in powdery conditions, but the 80s do just fine with technique. The 80s are a great balance for all conditions including snowless days.

·
Feeding your addiction
2,648 Posts
hackmonkey said:
Any clydesdales ride fat bikes? Good, bad or just cant ride the same conditions lighter brethren? And options to test ride Colorado northern front range to summit county. Thanks!
Hey Hackmonkey, where you located? I'm in Loveland and you're welcome to come by and ride one. We have a large Pugs and will have a large Fatback in a week or two. I've been riding the Pugs in this area for 3 years, would be more than happy to give you some feedback. 1 ride and you'll be hooked!

Larry
www.mtnhighcyclery.com

·
no dabs
476 Posts
Valhalla said:
I put the 'dale' in clydesdale and ride 80s on a 2008 Ti Fatback up in AK. I imagine the 100s would work best for us in powdery conditions, but the 80s do just fine with technique. The 80s are a great balance for all conditions including snowless days.
depending on what frame you are on, 80mm rims will let you run more gears, and more easily run low gears compared to 100 mm rims too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.