Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building up a new single speed 29er. i am pushing 250lbs with gear. wondering about cranks. been running race face elvolve xc with issis BB for years with no issues, but want something different. which is best ...xt, middleburn, white industries, others?

also on the bottom bracket...i have been running issis for years. the only square taper i ever had was a cheap set-up on an old entry level bike, and i destroyed them with 3 months. i love the white industry stuff but the square taper worries me.

can anyone offer some advice or guidance? any help is greatly appreciated.

·
turtles make me hot
11,664 Posts
I rode a square taper bottom bracket for 15 years before I broke it. It was a Shimano BB and RaceFace cranks, 175mm. My weight was anywhere from 225 to 280. I broke it at 280 climbing a steep, loose hill.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
I've been running square taper my entire cycling life... one bike has a phil wood which should last as long as I'd care to keep it... the stylo cranks on the other hand are a bit flexy under my near 300# mass... the OEM redline cranks will make their way on there... they are heavy but nice and stiff...

have my eye on the shimano SLX right now... can get em for just over $100 including the BB (external which i'd like to try)... supposedly they are as stiff as XT with relatively little weight gain and much cheaper

but i've yet to hear a bad thing (other then the price) of either WI or the middleburn

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've got Middleburns and a square taper (that sounds like a painful medical condition). Works great. I've only ridden square tapers and never had a problem. I like simple, reliable parts.

bb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.