Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now to the point where my confidence is allowing me to try much more technical stuff than I used to. I have found, I am also begining to fall more with this new confidence.

I am looking for a set of knee / shin guards that would fit my large / short / tree trunk type legs. (30" inseam, 22.5" thighs and 18" calfs).

I have been looking at the Rockgardn Landing Zone and the Roach Freestyle guards but are unsure if they will fit. I do not have a LBS that carries the guards (mostly roadie content) so it is difficult to find a place to try them on.

If there are any Clydes out there that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Gordi

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a pair of 661 4x4 knee/shin guards and I love them. I am in southern cali so they do get a little warm. My inseam is 30 as well (thighs and calves about the same as you)and the pads cover from my knee all the way down to the tops of my shoes, which is nice. I ordered a size L and I'm happy with the way they fit. The back on the pads could be a little bit bigger but they still work for me. They don't slid around and they definately give you that extra bit of courage. One draw back.....they are bulky so if you order the XL's, heads up.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Roach

Hey MTB 50!

You and I have the same type and size of legs. I have had really good luck with Roach pads which now go under both the Roach and Raceface logos. I use the original nylon wrap around freeride pads and those are the most comfortable although kind of hot in the summer. I also have a pair of the Roach Rally DH Pads which are the ones with the hard plastic on the outside over the knee and shins. I have the largest size in both types of pads. For the Rally they are Extra Large. They also wrap completely around your legs and are better ventilated. I use those if I am downhilling on more rocky trails up in the Sierras usually. Otherwise, I use the old style all black nylon Roach pads.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...You Guys Rock!

Not one of the LBS's have knee / shin pads in stock so I can't try any on.

I was looking at the Roach brand and think I will go with those.

Thanks again.....
Gordy

·
Registered
39 Posts
check strap lengths!

Most leg guards dont fit me, calf 22" and 35" thigh. Worse still, most look like barn doors on the front of my legs. Be sure to try! Very few guards have straps that will cope with larger diameter legs.
If you can get neoprene guards and they offer enough protection they seem to fit best. Currently I am using Roach Rally dh guards w/ extended straps, slipppery ride - last outing - didnt feel a thing not bad for a 40km/hr digger!

·
mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
809 Posts
get the roaches!

Roaches are AWESOME!!!

link to the elbow guards

Link to the knee/leg

These pads are fantastic.
Super light, comfy, great pedaling, don't really feel them.

I guess RaceFace bought Roach or something.....I really like them.

Definite confidence booster to know you can try something and still make it to work on Monday.

After a few "Oh $hits" and trips to the emergency room, I opted for these on the more technical stuff in town.

The downside to pads is you don't get a breeze over your legs or arms and can overheat pretty quick.

Living in Austin, I can't wear these pads during the summer.

Keep them mostly for fall/winter trips to places where I need them.

I'm 6'6" and got the XLs they fit great!
Haven't measured my legs in awhile, but they ain't tiny.

Get the roaches, you'll be super pleased!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.