Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At 6'3 - 240 lbs. trying to find a good rear XC FAST tire. Tried maxxis aspens and conti race king, both 2.2. After 5 months they ended in the trash can.

Which XC tire(s)would you recommend ??

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Same story for me. The game changer for me was tire inserts. There are some newer lightweight ones out there like PTN and tubolight. The volume spacer effect is magical for larger riders. I’ll never go back. The bike I got last year came with vittoria barzo thin wall tires I figured I’d get a couple rides on them then put on something heavier. I put the tire inserts in and am still riding them.

·
change is good
3,215 Posts
Racing Ralph? I’m big and the snakeskin version worked well for me in the Midwest. Not a good tire for rocky terrain.

A heavier trail alternative- Purgatory Grid may work you. If you are riding a lot, any XC tire will wear fast.

If you are flatting, then go up on tire weight and pressure until you stop flatting. There are a few fast rear specific AM tires, but once again they wear fast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
230 Posts
MAxxis aspens are crap tires with no sidewall strength. I'm sure being a clydesdale mashed that casing into polenta well before it should have. My Continental Mountain King 2.3 are unscathed through stuff that made quick work of my Aspens....but then, they're easily 1.5 times more heavy. Want them to roll fast? Inflate to 92 psi.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
hi clyde...try a bontrager XR2 2.4...even the 2.6 would be pretty fast too depending. plenty of volume as well.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MAxxis aspens are crap tires with no sidewall strength. I'm sure being a clydesdale mashed that casing into polenta well before it should have. My Continental Mountain King 2.3 are unscathed through stuff that made quick work of my Aspens....but then, they're easily 1.5 times more heavy. Want them to roll fast? Inflate to 92 psi.
polenta... yes.
Mountain king is a great tire. I use it front.
The thing is I need a fast rolling rear tire.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
I ride a Racing Ray and Ralph each in 2.25” width, both on Flow MK3 rims. The Flows are 29mm internal width.

For my XC/gravel bike, they are ideal.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,643 Posts
5 mos is about how long my tires last with my annual mileage between 5-6k mi per year.

My go-to tires are Maxxis Ardent Races.

Edited to add: if you just want a very very fast, race-day tire, consider Specialized Fasttracks (front) and Renegade (rear). They last me less than 3 weeks unless I swap them out and use them exclusively for special events.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
5 mos is about how long my tires last with my annual mileage between 5-6k mi per year.

My go-to tires are Maxxis Ardent Races.

Edited to add: if you just want a very very fast, race-day tire, consider Specialized Fasttracks (front) and Renegade (rear). They last me less than 3 weeks unless I swap them out and use them exclusively for special events.
No 3 week tires fir me... I'm looking for a fast daily user.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,643 Posts
So...........why are they ending up trashed? What about them isn't working for you?
Assuming you're referring to the Specialized tire combo--those tires are super light weight, very little rolling resistance (i.e. "fast'), great handling and traction once you dial-in your riding techniques, and extremely FRAGILE. The treads are soft, so they wear quick. Light weight tires translates into very easy side wall tears/punctures. In my experience, after 3 weeks worth of rides (@ 10-15 rides), these tires have been plugged, the side walls have torn in multiple spots (I'm typically forced to run tubes after the first side wall cut) and the treads are scarce.

I have the same wear-&-tear issues with the Maxxis tires but after much higher mileage and the Maxxis tires tend to last 5-6 months.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So...........why are they ending up trashed? What about them isn't working for you?
In my case, the maxxis aspens have thin walls. Didn't withstand side punctures.
Conti race kings leak the sealant in tread area. Defective tires.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Conti race kings leak the sealant in tread area. Defective tires.
$65 for a tire that oozes milk out of the tread? Sounds extra lame. Did you try returning them?

My mountain kings reveal overnight spotting in between the treads but I figure that's normal for all the cactuse needles and goat heads we have here.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
$65 for a tire that oozes milk out of the tread? Sounds extra lame. Did you try returning them?

My mountain kings reveal overnight spotting in between the treads but I figure that's normal for all the cactuse needles and goat heads we have here.
It's probably not got anything to do with cactus - I'll never use Maxxis again because of the weeping sidewalls on my rear tire - and that's well known.

·
CEO Product Failure
1,643 Posts
It's probably not got anything to do with cactus - I'll never use Maxxis again because of the weeping sidewalls on my rear tire - and that's well known.
I've ridden/raced 24HOP on both Maxxis Ardent Races and Minions. I did not experience any of those issues and, unfortunately, I got to experience cactus first hand--tires, boots, legs, hands...ugh.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I tried. Amazon won't let me return them because I made my claim after their return policy term expired (30 days).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I’m not sure if you can find them there but they exist where I am, maybe try vittoria cape cobras, heard that they have good sidewall protection. Probably go for the mezcal of saguaro.

·
roots, rocks, rhythm
A little of this and that........nothing cheap!
853 Posts
A good sturdy rim not to narrow.
Next is a tire with reinforced or thicker side walls.
(From Schwalbe something like Snake skin is good!)
A tire that is 2.25 - 2.4 in width.

That is what I go with.
Anything else feels like it is washing out in corners or you get lots of flats or your tire pulls off the rim.
Happened more when I had tubes......
Just my 2 cents.

Jury is still out on inserts.......IMHO

1 - 18 of 18 Posts