Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this folder.

I'm interested in either doing my own wheel build, or purchasing the parts and having someone else do a wheel build, for a 29" front wheel.

I've never done one of these before, and am looking for suggestions as to what parts are best for a Clyde who's also looking to keep the costs down. Fork would be a rigid fork if that matters, but may also want to consider using a suspension fork in the future.

Also, how hard is it to build one's own wheel? I've never done it before, but I do have Zinn's book and it seems pretty straightforward, aside from truing the wheel for which I don't have the stand.

Thanks in advance!

·
HammerHead
290 Posts
You need truing stand for sure. You can get cheap one like this
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=15314&subcategory_ID=4221
Without it will be very hard to build a round straight wheel. If you jut need to build one wheel, you are better off, letting your LBS to do it. Other then that you can follow instructions in the book you should be ok. always use new spokes and nipples.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
jddjirikian said:
Greetings all,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this folder.

I'm interested in either doing my own wheel build, or purchasing the parts and having someone else do a wheel build, for a 29" front wheel.

I've never done one of these before, and am looking for suggestions as to what parts are best for a Clyde who's also looking to keep the costs down. Fork would be a rigid fork if that matters, but may also want to consider using a suspension fork in the future.

Also, how hard is it to build one's own wheel? I've never done it before, but I do have Zinn's book and it seems pretty straightforward, aside from truing the wheel for which I don't have the stand.

Thanks in advance!
Let me be a counterpoint to the previous post :eekster:

First time wheelbuilding is surprisingly easy and you'll be sooo pumped when you're finished. With a very minimum of equipment (you don't even need to buy a wheel stand) you can turn out first class wheels.

Hit the link at the end of my sig for my tech info site.

·
Bigger is better!
725 Posts
Mike T. said:
Let me be a counterpoint to the previous post :eekster:

First time wheelbuilding is surprisingly easy and you'll be sooo pumped when you're finished. With a very minimum of equipment (you don't even need to buy a wheel stand) you can turn out first class wheels.

Hit the link at the end of my sig for my tech info site.
i second that!

before i bought a wheel-struing stand(park tool entry level model - which is very nice btw), i just fastened a plastic strips to one of the fork legs (or chain stay depending on whether your'e building a front or rear wheel) in line with the rim. then you can twist the strips so that it almost touches the rim - and you have yourself a wheel truing gauge.
if you don't remove the strips and just twist it aside, you can true your wheel whenever you like.

re rims: i've built up 3 29er wheels. 2 using salsa delgado X and 1 using mavic A719. the A719 was much easier to build up and have made a truer wheel. i'm 230-240lbs all geared up btw.
i used the instructions on sheldon browns site, with success.

·
Five is right out
3,176 Posts
How did you handle getting the correct dishing without a tool? The truing bit would be pretty easy, the dishing part looks like it would be trickier.

·
A wheelist
5,991 Posts
womble said:
How did you handle getting the correct dishing without a tool? The truing bit would be pretty easy, the dishing part looks like it would be trickier.
Dishing is one of the easier things to do. The way *I* do it is to use inside callipers to measure rim to fork on both sides. Move the rim over to halve the discrepancy. The cheaper way - and just as easy - is to flip the wheel in the fork (or frame, or stand) and compare its distance from a pointer.

·
R.I.P. DogFriend
6,891 Posts
I built my first wheel without a truing stand and it is still as true today as the day I built it three years ago.

I did recently find a 'Spin Doctor' truing stand at Performance for $39 (the same one Gevorg mentions) although I bought it more for maintaining than building wheels.

Take your time and I think you'll find it very rewarding.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.