Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tree Thumper
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What your opinion on running a clutch rear derailleur on a double crank? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
If you have a perfectly good derailleur that is working fine, then no it isn't worth it to spend money just so you can have the "latest thing".

If you are having problems with chain slap or chain dropping, then maybe yeah.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,267 Posts
If you have the funds, I'd say go or it- nice improvement. I opted for Shimano...

My old x9 rear derailleur was half mangled from slammajamma with rocks and roots since 2009 so I splurged on an XTR M985 for my hard tail build last year. It's been awesome... super quiet even when the clutch isn't engaged (I typically enable it only on really rough trails as I rarely get slappage on medium gnar single track). Also- it tucks in closer to the wheel than the non-clutch derailleurs.

I still run an X9 on my full suspension bike and it is amazing how much I notice chain slap nowadays. I bought a second M985 to install on the full susser one of these days...

·
Trail Tire TV on blogger
4,237 Posts
If you have a perfectly good derailleur that is working fine, then no it isn't worth it to spend money just so you can have the "latest thing".

what he said

·
Tree Thumper
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm in the middle of upgrading my drivetrain. From x9 9 speed to xx and XTR 10 speed. So I'm in the market for a new derailleur. I have been away from buying drivetrain parts for a while but is it just me, or is XTR a better value than SRAM?

·
Registered
4,169 Posts

Just buy a new 650b @ 1x11 and you will be up to date on the latest things, plus no chain dropping or slap.

·
Tree Thumper
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just buy a new 650b @ 1x11 and you will be up to date on the latest things, plus no chain dropping or slap.
I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic.

I think there are a lot of things wrong with the 1x11 set up.... for me that is. People are still getting dropped chains or having to run a chain guide. Spinning out on downhills and not having a low enough gear for climbing. If I wanted to change out chain rings for different trails or run a chain guide, why wouldn't you just run a 1x9 or 1x10 set up at half the cost.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I'm going to assume you are being sarcastic.

I think there are a lot of things wrong with the 1x11 set up.... for me that is. People are still getting dropped chains or having to run a chain guide. Spinning out on downhills and not having a low enough gear for climbing. If I wanted to change out chain rings for different trails or run a chain guide, why wouldn't you just run a 1x9 or 1x10 set up at half the cost.
I run 1X10 (using Wolf tooth components chainring)on a on a 650b, so yes I was being sarcastic. I came to use both on my own before they were cool and the became the next hot things, but now both 1 X 11 and 650b are just that. I don't have either spinning out high gear problem, or dropped chain issues (with alternating tooth front ring and clutch rear mech), but if I had the talent to race enduro, I would install a chain guide as insurance and a bigger chainring) But do not have the talent, so I'll stay with what I have.

However, I do have low gear issues, which a 42T cog will help with, but it will never work like a granny. I have no problem admitting I miss granny often when the going gets brutal :p , but I intend to keep running 1 X10. for elegant simplicity . Bit I do have a 2 X 10 29'er with a granny, if I miss it too much.:thumbsup:

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,267 Posts
LOL- I run an M985 XTR 10-speed derailleur with 9-speed everything else (SRAM triggers, 3x9 rings, XT cassette and chain) on an "ancient" 2010 hard tail frame :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
However, I do have low gear issues, which a 42T cog will help with, but it will never work like a granny.
Not necessarily. I have 1x11 with a 26T chainring and 42-10 in back. The 26x42 is about as low as a 22x36 traditional granny. So you can have low gears as low as you want with a 1X sysem, and as high as you want. You might not have both however, as the range can never be as good as with multiple chain rings.

For me, my 26x42 is low enough, and my 26x10 is high enough. Works great for me, but obviously, not for everyone.

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is my personal opinion: I do not like front derailleurs i think make my life more complicated, but also I am terrible climber, so after playing with different setups, this is what works for me, 1x10 30 in the front and 11-36 in the back, it has been few occasions that I wished i would have a lower gear, but also, I am noticing I am a better climber now. I do have a clutch in my rear derailleur and also, I have not have any issues with dropping the chain at all. In my heavy bike i run 2x9 with chain guide and no clutch in rear derailleur, and no dropping chain issue. I do not have the money for a new drive train like 1x11, and even if I would have the money I would do it unless I get a new bike that comes with that drive train. One more thing I like shimano products better

Cesar

·
SS Pusher Man
7,623 Posts
It is why I finally moved to 10 spd.....

Was perfectly happy with my 1x9 on my Tallboy. However, when I got my Tallboy2, I noticed that it was noisier with the 9 spd derailluer.

Have dropped my chain 1 time since installing Type 2 derailler and NW ring in 12 months.

·
psycho cyclo addict
3,267 Posts
This is my personal opinion: I do not like front derailleurs i think make my life more complicated, but also I am terrible climber, so after playing with different setups, this is what works for me, 1x10 30 in the front and 11-36 in the back, it has been few occasions that I wished i would have a lower gear, but also, I am noticing I am a better climber now. I do have a clutch in my rear derailleur and also, I have not have any issues with dropping the chain at all. In my heavy bike i run 2x9 with chain guide and no clutch in rear derailleur, and no dropping chain issue. I do not have the money for a new drive train like 1x11, and even if I would have the money I would do it unless I get a new bike that comes with that drive train. One more thing I like shimano products better

Cesar
Front derailleur good... especially when climbing long and steep trails ;)

I like the snappier feel of older / "type-1" SRAM derailleurs. Running my mutant SRAMano setup, I get the best of both worlds... Snappy no chain slap shifting that works with all my 9-speed rings/chains/shifters and front derailleurs.

I also do not engage the clutch very often on the M985 as I find keeps plenty of chain tension in the "up" / off position. Overall the method of clutch engagement that Shimano came up with is superior to SRAM's "cock and lock" clutch engagement IMO.

·
I like turtles
6,374 Posts
Not necessary unless chains lap is an issue for you. I run a standard derailleur on my 1x with no guide and don't drop my chain.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.