Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 474 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
As much as I would want anything new that Surly puts out, I can honestly say that I do not want to see another fatty from Surly. Only because I already want a Moonlander and have only had my Pugsley for about 2 years now. My lottery list would include each bike that Surly puts out. They may not be the greatest or most popular brand out there but man do they bikes that are fun to ride. Salsa as well! I literally take my Pugs everywhere and rarely touch the other 2 I have.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Awww crap, so it's looking like I will have a 3rd fatbike. Just when I thought I had it all the bikes I needed...

If it is a full susp fatty I won't want it...that is if it it a 26", already got one. However if it is a new wheel size I'd be very interested. Does anyone think that a 29er fatty would be too much? A 650b may be more practical? As a Clyde I wouldn't mind the 29" but a smaller rider may not. Also Im not sure how it would handle in tight, twisty woods we have here in New England. Also how much more expensive will the tires be, round $200?

Just initial thoughts and concerns but really excited to see what the heck it is!!

-Nolan

·
Fat & Single
4,176 Posts
Rear sus ! The angle of the rear triangle doesnt line up with the top tube.

Those wheels do look bigger though.....

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
But the tires look less fat, like a 3.0, maybe. 650b x 3.0?
If it is a 622ISO based tire, Surly will have pulled a coup of (pardon the pun) massive proportions. It has been well documented that 29"er tires could not be made larger than 2.4" wide-2.5" wide due to the physical limitations of the tire molding machines used in Asia.

So, unless Surly got someone to produce a super-expensive mold machine, and then use it to make this supposed 622ISO bead tire, it isn't (probably) a 700c based tire. (Don't say 29"er. It would be a bigger diameter than that if it were a 700c/622ISO tire @ 3" width)

Of course, there is always that "if" hanging out there until we actually see it.

And it could very well just be a wider rim with a 2.4"er on it as well. ;) Those have been done before, maybe Surly is doing that idea one better.

·
...big and slow
223 Posts
Maybe it's the low res pic or maybe it's just my eyes playing games with me but those tires look awfully short in height. Low Profile and Fat? Not sure that makes much sense though... Am I seeing a dual crown suspension fork too?

·
This place needs an enema
16,919 Posts
I heard mention of a soft tail. Kind of the Surly mindset approach to FS, to counter Salsa's more tech heavy offering.
I know what it is--been riding it a month now.

And I ain't sayin'.

Piped in here to comment on your use of "Salsa" and "tech heavy" in the same sentence.

Bwaaahaahaaa! Good one! :D

41 - 60 of 474 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.