Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The officers of the Tuff Riders, MTB club in Los Alamos, have been discussing whether to have members sign liability waivers.

Do any of you have experience with that sort of thing? Some people say waivers do no good, but for some reason ski resorts, etc. have people sign them.

Thanks for any experience you can share.

(I'd like to read this thread, so if you can avoid turning it into a forum for your petty disputes it sure would be helpful. Thanks for that.)

·
Bandolero
2,438 Posts
Black Hole Sun

Good question. I'm looking into the same thing.

rodmccrady said:
The officers of the Tuff Riders, MTB club in Los Alamos, have been discussing whether to have members sign liability waivers.

Do any of you have experience with that sort of thing? Some people say waivers do no good, but for some reason ski resorts, etc. have people sign them.

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
Yeah, make it part of the membership form. Here's some language put together by one of my pals who's a Federal Judge for a mtb club. Feel free to modify it as you need.

WAIVER AND RELEASE
In signing this form for myself and/or as the adult responsible for a child under age 18, I agree to hold harmless, absolve, waive, release, and discharge (CLUB NAME), and all of its officers, directors, members, incorporators, owners, organizers, volunteers, vendors, suppliers, insurers, and sponsors (collectively "CLUB NAME"), of and from all blame, liability, suits, claims, demands and/or causes of action for any injury, death, misadventure, harm, loss, inconvenience or damage of any kind suffered or incurred as a result of any activity associated with (CLUB NAME). I represent that I am in good physical and mental condition, and that I have sufficient skills and experience to safely complete any bicycle ride, race, tour or event in which I choose to participate. I realize there is a possibility that physical injury, death and/or property damage to me or others can occur as a result of bicycling. Knowing the risks, I agree to assume the risks, and I further agree to release, hold harmless and indemnify (CLUB NAME) from all liability, suits, demands, claims, and/or causes of action asserted by either myself or any other person as a result of my attendance at, or participation in, any activity associated with (CLUB NAME). I agree to wear an approved bicycle helmet on all (CLUB NAME) rides, races, tours and events. I further agree to ride safely and responsibly with due regard for my safety, the safety of others and the environment. (CLUB NAME) does not endorse the building or riding of 'stunts' without the express permission of the land owner.
Signature _______________________________________ Date ______________________ Signature _______________________________________ Date ______________________
[For a family membership, each member of the family must sign.] Signature of Parent or Guardian, if applicant is under the age of 18 ___________________________________________
Printed Name of Parent or Guardian:___________________________________________

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
I've got nothing to add, except to say that you missed a [email protected] fine ride last night. I heard MC invited you but that you had other plans. Perhaps next time.
- Joe (trying to infuse some pettiness)

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
rodmccrady said:

Thanks for any experience you can share.

(I'd like to read this thread, so if you can avoid turning it into a forum for your petty disputes it sure would be helpful. Thanks for that.)
Gallup Trails 2010 uses a membership waiver. Our insurance company demanded it and provided some verbage. Just bend over boy... sign that waiver first.

Has anyone obtained BOD insurance?

·
High Alpine Adventure
1,842 Posts
This is the FooMTB Waiver...

Waiver Release of Reliability
In consideration of my membership into FooMTB, and of my own free will, I for myself, my heirs, executors and administrators, forever waive, release and give up any and all claims, demands, liability, damages, costs and expenses of any kind whatsoever (including personal injuries to me or cases associated with my wrongful death) against FooMTB and its Officers, Directors, employees, representatives, agents and contractors. I fully realize the dangers of bicycling, which can include, but not be limited to, collision with pedestrians, vehicles, other riders and fixed or moving objects. Dangers can arise from surface hazards, equipment failure, weather conditions or inadequate safety equipment. I assume all risks associated with participation in or while driving to or from FooMTB events. I fully understand I am forever giving up, in advance, any right to sue or make any claim against the above parties if I suffer such injuries and damages.

We also have a waiver for AOS that we require everyone to sign during trail work sessions.

Gotta cover your a$$....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here's the membership form and waiver for Santa Fe Fat Tire Society.

http://www.santafefattiresociety.org/sites/default/files/SFFTSMembershipandWaiverForm2011.pdf

It's a one-time deal. It usually works unless the defendant is really careless and screws up AND the other person (plaintiff) gets really injured.

Also, we got this insurance guy's name from IMBA and bought a club policy.

Scott S. Chapin
Bike and Ski Shop Insurance - Managing Agent
7225 Northland Dr. N., Suite 300
Minneapolis, MN 55428
PO Box 989
Hayward, WI 54843
1-800-378-4318
715-558-1078 (cell)
1-866-200-7327 (fax)
www.rjfagencies.com/BikeandSki

www.facebook.com/RJF.BikeAndSki

·
saddlemeat
3,873 Posts
We are shopping for board of directors insurance, at this point it seems expensive. Also are a NM non-profit corporation but liability can still pass to the corp officers/directors. What do y'all do for liability protection for your officers?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks

Thank you to Sage_cat and DaGoat.

I'll contact the Bike and Ski guy, but we might cobble something together from the waivers that I've gotten from others.

This has been really helpful.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.