Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving to Eugene from Boulder, CO this summer. Where are the closest trails to Eugene? Heard some great things about trails up near Oakridge which sound great for weekends but what about anything a bit closer for after work riding?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,330 Posts
Bobcat80 said:
Moving to Eugene from Boulder, CO this summer. Where are the closest trails to Eugene? Heard some great things about trails up near Oakridge which sound great for weekends but what about anything a bit closer for after work riding?
There's a stash trail network (~25 miles of singletrack built by mtn bikers for mtn bikers) about half an hour outside Eugene. It's on BLM land without their approval but last year local mtn bikers approached BLM and they said they won't shut it down unless people post directions to it in public places (like this forum) so everyone respects this because nobody wants to lose it. The area is referred to as Whypass. Great stuff. The local mtn bike club, The Disciples of Dirt, ride there every Wednesday night. We can show you around whenever you get here.

--sParty
aka Davey Sprockett, DOD Chairman of the Board

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info...

Thanks for the info guys. I joined the Yahoo! Message Group for Disciples of Dirt. Looking forward to joining up with the group for some rides after our move this summer. Whypass sounds fun. Have a friend who lives in Bend who mentioned the Hardesty trail as well. And I'm getting ready to Google Eagles Rest in a few. Thanks again!

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
16,330 Posts
Bobcat80 said:
Thanks for the info guys. I joined the Yahoo! Message Group for Disciples of Dirt. Looking forward to joining up with the group for some rides after our move this summer. Whypass sounds fun. Have a friend who lives in Bend who mentioned the Hardesty trail as well. And I'm getting ready to Google Eagles Rest in a few. Thanks again!
Hardesty & Eagle's Rest (below Eagle's Rests = Goodman Cr. Tr.) are awesome. These trails, along with others in the same network -- Lawler, Eula Ridge, Lost Cr., Sawtooth -- are on the north-facing slope of a ridge. Because of Oregon's weather, the lack of earth-drying sunshine on this area plus the clay-based soil type there, it's usually best to avoid this network until around July due to negative trail impact. If you're arriving in summer, you should be good to go.

--sParty

·
Registered
153 Posts
First off, congrats on finding a paying job in Eugene.

Agree with the folks above. I did most of my Eugene riding b/w 1988-1993, and agree with the folks above. Will share some thoughts below...not sure if some of these have been outlawed in the last 20yrs...if so, bummer.

Hardesty and Eula start at the same place, and have the same vertical drop. But while Hardesty does it over 6miles, Eula is only 4miles. Translation: Eula is a STEEP drop. It's a great ride, but you will be on the brakes the entire time. Hardesty will give you fabulous Jedi singletrack flow and more opportunity to open up the speed...as you can tell from the sweet videos here by erosive.

You really can't go wrong with most of the trails around Oakridge. Past Oakridge is Moon Point, boasting a big view from the peak, and a primo 8mile singletrack downhill.

Crawfish Trail, east of Cottage Grove is worth a day trip. Not much more drivetime than going to Oakridge. Campground near the trailhead. Post ride there is some cool waterfall cliff jumping nearby on Brice Creek. There used to also be a 40foot-drop ropeswing by the inlet to to Dorena Reservoir.

Hwy 126 East of Eugene/Springfield has a lot of nice rides. I'm not such a big fan of McKenzie River trail, but we used to have good times on Ollallie Trail/Horsepasture Mountain, and I recall another trail called Mt. Fuji.

Not to wax nostalgic, but when I first moved to Eugene, Spencer's Butte was open and legal to Mtn Bikes. THAT was the best quick local ride ever. We would go up Fox Hollow, ride up to the peak. The quick downhill option was to return 2/3 the way we came, but take the fork left to Willamette Drive, and bomb the steep road back to town. The longer ride was to return back to Fox Hollow, cross the road, and follow the singletrack/powerlines all the way to Lane Community College. Required a big climb-out up over 28th or 29th Street back into Eugene.

Folks used to ride on Mt Pisgah nearby too, but I never really liked the overexposed terrain and endless poison oak. May no longer be legal either.

For extremely close-to-home riding, nothing epic, there used to be 2-3 decent short-run singletracks on the southern end of Hendricks Park, and an impossibly steep face we called "The Widowmaker" that used to spit us out on the back side of Hendricks Park, requiring a loop-back to Franklin Blvd to get home. I'm guessing these have also been banned.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Moving from Boulder to Eugene, you are going to be a little disapointed. Eugene might have a reputation as being bike freindly, but there is no singletrack in town like Boulder or Springs has. Though I am not sure how Boulder is now, right before I moved from Boulder many of trails in town were becoming off limits to bikes, as that was almost 10 years ago.

·
Registered
153 Posts
one more thing: Eugene's bike thieves are highly skilled. keep good bikes indoors. get a beater for getting around town. quality bikes locked up outside will disappear. parts get stripped fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.