Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The closest mountain trail I know to downtown San Jose is Alum Rock which has no cover and is super hot later in the season.

Are there any other trails within riding distance of DTSJ? Joseph's Hill and Bel Gatos come to mind, though its gonna be a 20 mile round trip on top of whatever riding you wanna do

·
Hella Olde
2,541 Posts
The closest mountain trail I know to downtown San Jose is Alum Rock which has no cover and is super hot later in the season.

Are there any other trails within riding distance of DTSJ? Joseph's Hill and Bel Gatos come to mind, though its gonna be a 20 mile round trip on top of whatever riding you wanna do
-Edited (to be less of a dick)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the Santa Teresa suggestion. I was thinking about light rail to get closer to Los Gatos too. I think I should probably focus on options in that area

I made it up to Grant Ranch one time but the trail was so bumpy from cows, maybe I was on the wrong trail. It's a nice hour climb up Hamilton Road though which is nice and sunny

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Take VTA light rail (assuming you don't have a car) to and from Santa Teresa. Riding sucks, but at least it's singletrack and close by.
Why does ST riding suck? Sarcasm? I think it is one of the better raw technical trails in the Bay Area. Not sure if they do anymore, but Fox and Specialized use to use ST as testing grounds.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Why does ST riding suck? Sarcasm? I think it is one of the better raw technical trails in the Bay Area. Not sure if they do anymore, but Fox and Specialized use to use ST as testing grounds.
Hate it more every time I ride there. (And I live at the base of the hill). The dirt is hard as a rock. The uphills are steeper than the downhills. Everything is in the sun. There are now gates and fences everywhere. My favorite trails are all way too overgrown and unmaintained to even ride. And I hate flat rocky trails in general.

Rather sit in traffic for 45 minutes to get somewhere fun than pedal from my front door.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you take light rail Santa Teresa is like a mile away! That's faster than riding to Alum rock and there's more variety too.. definitely going to check it out. Still wish there was more cover but it looks like there are portions of shade

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hate it more every time I ride there. (And I live at the base of the hill). The dirt is hard as a rock. The uphills are steeper than the downhills. Everything is in the sun. There are now gates and fences everywhere. My favorite trails are all way too overgrown and unmaintained to even ride. And I hate flat rocky trails in general.

Rather sit in traffic for 45 minutes to get somewhere fun than pedal from my front door.
Yeah, probably because you live there and ride it so much as well. But I get you mean. Rocky Ridge is too flat for how rocky it is in sections, but it is still better than anything in the area because it has some tech. Flow trails are too boring. Stiles is fun and Ohlone is fun in an XCish way. I like ST a lot, but haven't been riding much there because of an arm injury. ST has changed quite a lot after the winter storms. Much more rocky and loose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked out Santa Teresa today.. didn't have much time but rode the Norred and Ohlone trails. Rocky and loose is a good way to describe it. I wanted to check out the Rocky Ridge and Stiles trails but even Ohlone was kicking my ass with unexpected steep sections outta nowhere. I could see why you would complain RBoardman but I'll take what I can get.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.