Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

closest/best resorts to Denver?

800 views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  eb76adam 
#1 ·
hey all, going out to visit a friend in Denver in a couple weeks = what's the best / closest DH/freeride stuff to Denver?

thanks!

aaron

#7 ·
It might cost you more in gas versus the savings in hotels to stay in Denver vs Summit county. You could stay in Silverthorne or Frisco they're less than 10 minutes from Keystone. Unless you're staying with a friend in Denver, then you're all set.

#12 ·
You guys are killing me! I've got a season pass at Keystone and it's great! BUT, don't discount Winter Park. I raced the Crankworks DH last weekend in WP and the improvements they made to the jumps and berms is VERY impressive.

If you go to Keystone you can stay at the "Arapahoe Inn", basically across the street from Keystone. I've attached a couple of photos from my DH race at the G-3 Gravity Series at Keystone.

Call and talk to Tom, the manager of the Arapahoe Inn, and tell him you found out about his place from Rick Patterson on MTBR.com. He may give you a discount. . . . . I did say "may".

Here is the web page: http://www.arapahoeinn.com/

He gave racers discounts for the G-3 a few weekends ago.

Attachments

#14 ·
eb76adam said:
Thanks for the info on where to stay, I 'll definitely check it out.

But as for the riding - we're going to be XC riding 100% of the time - Keystone / Breck going to have plenty for 3-4 days?
XCing huh? Honestly, don't know how to answer that. There are plenty of blues and greens at Keystone. I rode Breck twice and HATED it though. I you can, hit WP instead of Breck, you'll be glad you did.

#15 ·
I've heard from a friend that Winter Park and the surrounding area has awesome XC trails. But for XC I usually stay in the front range / Evergreen area.

If you want an XC burner you can ride up the greens at Keystone (2300' to the top), its national forest so you don't have to pay if you don't ride the lift.

#16 ·
eb76adam said:
Thanks for the info on where to stay, I 'll definitely check it out.

But as for the riding - we're going to be XC riding 100% of the time - Keystone / Breck going to have plenty for 3-4 days?
Summit County has some EPIC cross country stuff. That being said, I've only heard about it and never ridden it... if I'm in Summit I'm riding a chairlift. Call me lazy. Post up another thread to get the XC guy's attention, or check in with the local bike shops and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

One ride I do know of that's a freaking KILLER of an XC ride is the Lewanee Trail... basically start at the bottom of Arapahoe Basin Ski Area (a few miles up the road from Keystone) and climb to the top, then drop down the backside onto some NARROW singletrack around a very exposed basin, follow down and down and around until you get to the tiny little town of Montezuma, then ride the road back into Keystone. Probably best if shuttled somehow, otherwise you spend a lot of time on the road. There is no way to shuttle up the climb though.

Here's another source you could try:

http://www.trailcentral.com/trail/trail_county.php?county=Summit&state=CO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.