Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Closest/Best place near S.E. MI for Downhill/Freeride/SuperD?

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ColorVoyeur 
#1 ·
Well, the title basically says it all. I just moved Downriver, and I would like to know where is the closest place for these types of biking. I heard about marquette, but have realized that it is an incredibly long drive and it might be better to go to Canada or other surrounding states for good trails.
Thanks

#4 ·
you can try Boyne Mountain they have some downhill, Michigan is more woods riding, technical, you may have to move back out west... our mountains were knocked down by glaciers thousands of years ago, thats where the Great Lakes came from I'm told.
Happy Trails

#5 ·
I've seen pics of some pretty gnarly stuff at boyne, so it's probably worth a shot. Marquette is your best bet if you want real DH or Freeride stuff. In my experience it's the same as out west, just less vertical.

Marquette's really not that far either, from the detroit area it's a 6-7 hour drive and you could easily make a weekend trip out of it. If your going to Marquette you'll want to check out Benson Grade and Marquette mountain, if we cross our fingers they might start running the lift again.

#6 ·
Ohh, Alright. Thanks for the help.It sounds like Marquette will be my best bet, even though now that I don't have my old bike anymore it will be difficult to justify buying another DH Bike. I got a call from Fedex today saying that they have lost my bike, and they do not know what happened to it, However on the bright side I did have insurance. Do you guys know anything that's good if you drive 7 hours in other directions, like say Pennsylvania, Canada, etc?
Thanks

#7 ·
woodmandan2 said:
Ohh, Alright. Thanks for the help.It sounds like Marquette will be my best bet, even though now that I don't have my old bike anymore it will be difficult to justify buying another DH Bike. I got a call from Fedex today saying that they have lost my bike, and they do not know what happened to it, However on the bright side I did have insurance. Do you guys know anything that's good if you drive 7 hours in other directions, like say Pennsylvania, Canada, etc?
Thanks
Sorry to hear that Fedex F'ed up. I moved to Ann Arbor from Colorado about 18 months ago and built up a Titus El Guapo last summer. I miss the big western stuff but have found some short and fun trails nearby. This summer I'm planning on going to Brown County State Park in Indiana, Boyne Mountain up north, and possibly some places in Kentucky or West Virginia. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want to meet up and see some of the stuff I've found in the Ann Arbor area - there are a few that are 'private' and kinda fun.

Sean

#8 ·
I'm in the same boat, moved from CO to Ann Arbor recently and I can't handle how flat it is. After trading in the DH rig for a Trek Remedy I found some acceptable trails that are somewhat local (Lakeshore Park in Novi is my new favorite), but I'm itching to try out Marquette and get back to Winter Park and Keystone for a few summer trips. If anyone in the area is looking for someone to ride with, send me a message.

Geoff

#9 ·
Sorry to resurrect the dead with this post, but I just came across it. You could try some of the stuff in Western Pennsylvania, like Seven Springs. Some (much) of the stuff at Seven Springs was well over my head, but I've spent my entire mountain biking life in MI, with short bursts in AZ so I'm not skilled on the double black diamond stuff. Seven Springs would be a 5-hour trip from Downriver, so it's closer than Marquette and will be warmer sooner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.