Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cool: Are you a Jedi? So . . . this was the question that one of my friends asked me after an insane downhill ride the other day. I was up in the mountains riding a brutal downhill singletrack. It was one of those downhills where all of your concentration is required the entire ride and the ride was about five hours long.

Hence, for five hours, my entire focus, concentration, and mind was locked in on the moment. My mind was not thinking of the future nor the past, just the moment as it was happening. I felt like I was on autopilot weaving through the forest. In essence, I was in a catatonic, zen type state for those hours of riding. It is said by the Buddists that when you are in the moment, you are in an enligtened state where your creativity and channel to God is enhanced.

I responded to my friend that for the past five hours I was Jedi.

By the way, I was not riding a Yete 575 peice of shiz, but a Turner of course.

Please respond with your enlightened MTB moments.

Chow
AndyKiller:thumbsup:

·
Rolling
11,119 Posts
First of all. Yeti bikes are great bikes. Enjoy your Turner but that is dissing that won't gain respect.

A buddy and me eat chocolate covered espresso beans to amp us up before our DHs, calling them jedi mind pills.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
Andykiller said:
:cool: Are you a Jedi? So . . . this was the question that one of my friends asked me after an insane downhill ride the other day. I was up in the mountains riding a brutal downhill singletrack. It was one of those downhills where all of your concentration is required the entire ride and the ride was about five hours long.

Hence, for five hours, my entire focus, concentration, and mind was locked in on the moment. My mind was not thinking of the future nor the past, just the moment as it was happening. I felt like I was on autopilot weaving through the forest. In essence, I was in a catatonic, zen type state for those hours of riding. It is said by the Buddists that when you are in the moment, you are in an enligtened state where your creativity and channel to God is enhanced.

I responded to my friend that for the past five hours I was Jedi.

By the way, I was not riding a Yete 575 peice of shiz, but a Turner of course.

Please respond with your enlightened MTB moments.

Chow
AndyKiller:thumbsup:
MTB is definitley my religion if I have one:D I did an early morning ride with the Horseman in the sandpit was good we finished with a cool breaky and presie handout from one of our buds back from the land of the Sumo (japan) I scored some SAKE so all good for the morning good to ride with the origonals again, then feeling unsatisfied as I usually do as I never get enough of anything, I changed my tires again and went for a muddy ride with another buddy in our favorite muddy spot and was even more stoked, just gets better, not quite 5 hours of ride time but 7am-3pm in real time all round bikes was great, now if someone would only pay me on off days (week days) I'd be in heaven:D

·
Large member
2,750 Posts
Nothing so gnarly and cool MTB related for me, but I did once get very constipated which required huge focus and concentration to resolve. I'm pretty sure that during the clearing process I said "Oh my God" a few times, if that counts. During the process of relief, I'm sure I saw an apparition......

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yo Cactus,

Do you think that God would ride a Yeti? I would rather ride in hell on a StumpJumper than ride a Yeti on a difficult trail. Yeti's just do not hold up on knarly trails. They are basically disposable, unless of course, you are riding on nice little pansy ass trails at your local east coast theme park.

By the way, you remind me of that dude from Children of the Corn that was always ordering other people around.

Chow

·
Banned
4,271 Posts
Tidybeard said:
Nothing so gnarly and cool MTB related for me, but I did once get very constipated which required huge focus and concentration to resolve. I'm pretty sure that during the clearing process I said "Oh my God" a few times, if that counts. During the process of relief, I'm sure I saw an apparition......
I had the same EXACT experience . . . But later found out that it was kidney stones.

This thread is very reminiscent of the "what would Jesus ride" thread of a few months back.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Tidybeard said:
That picture reminds me of a story.

A few years back I was working in Nevada and the company would send us all over the state on service calls. I got sent to Reno on a big job once and the guy that was supposed to met me over there and help me on the job always drank a little too much. We were booked to stay in the Circus Circus hotel. As I was was walking from the parking lot to check in there was a little circus for the kids and there was an elephant there. I didn't think anything of it at the time.

The next morning I am supposed to meet this guy in the restaurant early so we could head out to the job site. As usual he showed up late and seriously hung over. He sits down at the table and pours himself a cup of coffee and sits there a minute. Then he says to me "dude, I think I need to cut back on my drinking. I got so f***ed up last night that I thought I saw an elephant".

He was surely "in a catatonic, zen type state" on that drunk. I never did tell him that he really did see an elephant.

·
trail fairy
9,531 Posts
kiwirider has a 575 it he flies on it and my other buddies ex partner got one and was a nice ride, the a stand over is sweet for chicks, it didn't do it for me over a 5Spot but hey Yeti stil produces some nice rides, understand ya passion, but dosen't fit the title bud to drag em down, rest is sweet keep up the stoke:thumbsup:

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,472 Posts
Hehehe....I can say that during a few epics, I've found a state of Zen with my mtb. I used to train in classical japanese sworsmanship (Shinkage Ryu Kenjitsu and other arts) so that "becoming one" and the expansion of awareness were old friends....probably let out a couple "ki-ap!" on some of the jumps :)

Psycho Mike...the pedalling samurai ;)

·
Registered
322 Posts
I always referred to those enlightening moments as "Ewok Effect". Ya know when the Ewoks are hauling a$$ though the woods on their speeder bikes in Empire Strikes Back. Kind of get that tunnel vision of focusing on the trail while all else around in your peripheral vision looks like a big green blur (assuming you are down hilling though the woods) which just makes you feel like you are going that much faster. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,278 Posts
Ahh, he's new to the forum. Let the Yeti comment slide fer gosh sakes. (Plus, he bought some rockers from me :p )

Andy, I had that feeling on the downhill portion of lap 1 of the Cream Puff on Sunday. Could do no wrong. Couldn't quite get that level of perfect flow on laps 2 and 3, but I felt it for awhile!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Flow

Great stoke story. Indeed you were describing a state of mindfulness, aka "flow" as identified by the psychologist with the unpronouncable name: Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi. Most of us ride to achieve this state, and it's bliss when it happens. Thanks.

·
Bite Me.
4,465 Posts
Andykiller said:
In essence, I was in a catatonic, zen type state:
The same thing happened to me recently!.... right after I endoed and launched head first into a very sharp, pointly broken branch of a Juniper tree. The pokey end went right through one of the front vents in my helmet and plowed a 4 inch furrow in my forehead. I saw stars, rang my bell, then looked up and saw an angel's face! Actually it was a nice young girl who said she was training to be a nurse. "Wow", she said "that's gonna leave a mark." She promptly rummaged through my first aid kit, cleaned off the blood, applied three butterfly bandages and heaps 'o tape, and sent me on my way. There is a God!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.