Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gold Camp Road. After much fruitless internet searching and conflicting stories I came up with this:

1) Tunnel 3 collapsed and was never repaired so Gold Camp Road is closed, either beyond that point or just at that point, in either direction or not.

2) Gold Camp Road is open.

I'm talking driving it in a car for my photography. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rode the length of it on my moto a few weeks ago, so unless it happened recently....

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk
Was that from C. Springs to basically Cripple Creek? No tunnels were closed/blocked? You saw passenger vehicles on that road going both directions? I've driven that a gazillion times but that was in a previous century when I lived in Manitou.

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
Was that from C. Springs to basically Cripple Creek? No tunnels were closed/blocked? You saw passenger vehicles on that road going both directions? I've driven that a gazillion times but that was in a previous century when I lived in Manitou.
Oooh, that stretch...Old Stage Rd. I rode from Bear Creek to Cheyenne Canon.

I'll ask the ADV Moto group and report back.

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
OK, I get the tunnel numbers confused. But I believe tunnel 1 & 2 are on the north end from Cheyenne Canyon >> Bear Creek. Tunnel 3 is collapsed and is right at the start of the St Mary's Trail. You can bike/hike further south from that point and it meets up with Old Stage Rd, which takes you to Victor & Cripple Creek.

If you want to drive across to Cripple Creek / Victor, you will want to start on Old Stage Rd. It's in the Broadmoor area, on the way to the zoo.

Once you get past the number of @sshats shooting and trashing the area (usually around Penrose Red), it gets really nice. Especially Cathedral Park.

If you can, look into a permit for South Slope Recreational Area. It's along the way, permits sold only online, and gorgeous. You often see wildlife there with a short hike.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Stage start: https://maps.app.goo.gl/mJCgiJwqD9PLEtMNA

South Slope: https://maps.app.goo.gl/pTjqin656CSFwYEP7

https://coloradosprings.gov/southslope

Scroll down and there is a link for permits. You have to apply by 1pm the day prior to visit or earlier.

Wow...clear as mud. In all my searching I never came across anything like your links. I just remember "driving on the Gold Camp Road" but apparently it's more involved nowadays. Thanks for your help.

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
Wow...clear as mud. In all my searching I never came across anything like your links. I just remember "driving on the Gold Camp Road" but apparently it's more involved nowadays. Thanks for your help.
You're quite welcome.

During the golden years, you would take hold camp and it intersected with Old Stage. Now, you just jump on Old Stage and take the ride.

Have fun!

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was in my bank yesterday. I asked the teller "are you from C. Springs?" She said, no but I visit. Is Gold Camp Rd. open? And she said "I don't think so. I was there awhile ago and that tunnel is still down". Well, Ok, one local vote for "No".

·
Human Crayon
450 Posts
Gold camp and old stage are two different roads. If you are wanting to get to cripple creek, you will have to take old stage regardless. Gold camp end at Old Stage and the other end at Bear Creek. Google map it. You just can't go Gold Camp >> Old Stage. Trust me, you can totally drive from COS to Cripple Creek via Old Stage.

·
Registered
9,549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gold camp and old stage are two different roads. If you are wanting to get to cripple creek, you will have to take old stage regardless. Gold camp end at Old Stage and the other end at Bear Creek. Google map it. You just can't go Gold Camp >> Old Stage. Trust me, you can totally drive from COS to Cripple Creek via Old Stage.

It's definitely a maze of roads up there. I'm not really fixated on driving the length of Gold Camp Rd. nor going all the way to Cripple Creek, just was wondering what was up there since I haven't been in a gazillion years.

OTOH, according to Google Maps, Old Stage seems to merge with GCR (8) and GCR is what continues on towards Cripple Creek. Maybe it's still called Old Stage at that point but it isn't on Google Maps.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sorry it's taken so long to get straight info. The third tunnel on Gold Camp rd is caved in and there are no plans to ever fix it so you have to drive up Old Stage Rd that begins above the Broadmoor Hotel until it merges with Gold Camp Rd. Gold Camp rd then goes all the way to Victor/Cripple Creek. I have not been up either for years but Old Stage is usually a washboarded mess and likely a cluster on weekends. Nothing to scenic until you get way up near the top of Gold Camp so for photos you might be better off driving HWY 67 from Divide Co to the upper portion of Gold Camp Rd.

Here is the MTB Project link map for Gold camp in case it helps. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7016675/gold-camp-road
Old Stage is on the far right and the most scenic areas off Gold Camp are near FS376 & 379 located in the far left and center north from Gold Camp Rd.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.