Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any beta on this closure? Is it permanent? I heard a hospital is going on on that huge property, but have no idea.

Looks like the entire road has disappeared. Its all graded dirt now. The map calls this the Youngfield Service Road.

I suppose a detour would be 32nd from Golden, but it's a bit concerning passing the memory plaques of people killed on that road.

Beta appreciated.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
I looked for info on the closure on both the Golden and JeffCo websites, saw nothing about it. Got a link or anything about the path being closed?

But yeah, that service road is pretty much gone now, not sure what's going in that space either. At least not exactly. The sign for the construction project says "mixed use" retail, commercial, residential IIRC. The Clear Creek bike path actually stays kinda north of there, and might not be closed. The access to that service road is closed, since the road is gone, but the bike path should (or at least could) still be open as a thru-route from Golden to Wheat Ridge and points beyond. This is all conjecture of course, but I don't see why the path itself would be closed. There is another access point on the east side of I-70 right there, the Wheat Ridge Greenbelt Youngfield Entrance: https://goo.gl/maps/SsB9LyaJMXUnTKsQ6

I think I am popping over to Cousins RV which is right near there either today or tomorrow... I'll see if I can't remember to have a look at that entrance and see if there's any signage about a closure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I rode the the green belt a few weeks back and the there was a short detour just west of I-70, but it goes...like scar said, I'm not sure about the best way to get around without having an idea of where you are trying to get.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
Stopped by the Greenbelt TH yesterday, and there were some rangers there so I asked them what was up. The Greenbelt Trail to Clear Creek Trail to Golden is open all the way through. If you're just looking for a north-south corridor to get from Clear Creek Trail/Greenbelt trail to 32nd, you can use Youngfield I suppose. But yeah, like those other guys said without knowing really where you're trying to get to from some other place...

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Golden to Lodo

Previous route: Ford-> CCBP->south on the bike path to the road that no longer exists-> 32nd->CrownHill Park->26th-> Perry St-> 23rd-> Past aquarium-> Cherry Creek Trail -> Wynkoop St

Taking 32nd out of Golden scares the begeezers out of me. I'm not a road biker used to vehicle traffic. Prefer bike lanes.

Staying on the CCBP past 70, it really gets wonky over there, and the crossover of Wadsworth is awful. Youngfield is scary too. People are not really nice to bikers, they love hammering on the gas right next to you.

I'm thinking Ford -> CCBP-> McIntyre-> 32nd is going to be my new method. Just scary around all those Coors 18 wheelers on McIntyre.

Thanks for suggestions. I used to be able to make it to work in 45 minutes, 60 on return trip.

·
Awesomist™
2,951 Posts
I think your new route will work just fine...

McIntyre from CCBP to 32nd isn't too bad... there hasn't been a lot of truck traffic whenever I'm on it, though I don't ride it often just when I'm riding from my house in Applewood over to NTM or New Terrain. Also, there are pretty wide gravel "shoulders" along there, I've been known to duck off the pavement onto the dirt just to give a little space between me and traffic. If you're commuter has some tire clearance, that would work, no?

32nd from Golden to McIntyre isn't great with little to no shoulder and some blind curves, but it is better from McIntyre to Youngfield... it's more residential through there and I think there's a sidewalk for part of it. It is a fairly common bike route, and my sense is that folks who drive that road, drive it often and are pretty used to seeing bike traffic.

That new construction will likely have a corridor or through way there, I'd wager that your previous route (or something similar) will eventually open back up.

EDIT:
If you really want to stay off 32nd, you could duck through the Applewood West neighborhood, head south all the way to 20th, and then pick up 20th about where you used to pick up 32nd.

Also similar, is go through Applewood West to 26th, and at the end of 26th there's a foot bridge that goes over I-70 which would allow you to get east of I-70 and pick up 26th at Youngfield.

·
Aphonopelma Coloradanum
202 Posts
Google maps has some buttons you can use to switch transportation mode, and their bike mode is really helpful.

I used to ride to work (not very often) from Golden to eastern Denver, and it would usually route me down the CCBP, and that service road, to the same procession of secondary streets, but it seems to be aware of the closure and won't route me down the service road any more. It looks like the best route (and it gives you a few) is to continue down the CCBP a bit further and juke over to 38th, or take S. Golden Rd to the south of STM and juke over to 26th.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'd continue along CCBP, cross under kipling at the rec center and then head up independence to 38th>Holland>Past WRHS>32nd>crown hill>26th. McIntyre is simply not enjoyable and 32nd before kipling isn't great.

·
Light freak
3,022 Posts
I have gone Clear Creek trail to Otis St (just after you cross under Wadsworth, there is a building on the right that used to be the Swiss Society) up the road. Top of the road brings you out on 48th ave. Make your way over one block to Newland and take Newland all the way to 32nd. You will have to cross 44th and 38th without any lights but a lot safer than riding on 32nd out in Golden!

Property Neighbourhood Road Land lot Line

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.