Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My new bike has the X0 eagle rear derailleur. Most of the time i ride in the semi flat woods in flanders (Belgium).
So i am searching for an affordable close range 12sp cassette, 10-42 or 10-36 would be fine.

The problem is i can't find one, does anyone knows a brand that produces such a cassette?

Thank for the help.

Grtz, Dieter.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Is your cassette already worn? I assume you never need the larger cogs.

Assuming you have an xD driver, there is not much with less range. For HG drivers you could get the Sunrace 11-50 cassette and install a larger chainring.
Shimano has a 10-45 cassette, but most hubs can't be converted to microspline.... and it is costly.

I'd just ride as it is till worn out and hope by then there will be more options.

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Hello,

My new bike has the X0 eagle rear derailleur. Most of the time i ride in the semi flat woods in flanders (Belgium).
So i am searching for an affordable close range 12sp cassette, 10-42 or 10-36 would be fine.

The problem is i can't find one, does anyone knows a brand that produces such a cassette?

Thank for the help.

Grtz, Dieter.
You aren't finding one because nobody makes one. Shimano is the closest with the XTR m9100 10-45, but as mentioned already, requires a specific freehub body that's available for a limited number of hub brands.

It's worth noting that once you get to a cassette with that range, you no longer need the long cage of Eagle. The only medium cage 12spd RD on the market right now is the Shimano XTR M9100 GS.

At this point, your best bet is to just put on a larger chainring and accept that you aren't using the full range of your cassette. Unless you're super lucky and have hubs from a manufacturer that offers the micro spline freehub body, switching to XTR M9100 right now would involve a pretty costly new rear wheel.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
There isn't one that is "Affordable", because very few people care and approx 95,4% of all off road riders were trained to think: "MOAR RANGE = BETTER".

Then I get to buy 11-50 cassettes that were worn out on 11-21 range and untouched otherwise because someone's bike could not accept rings bigger then 32T. SRAM likes that, because one needs to replace their $300 wear parts three times more often then they should.

Anyhow.

In non-affordable fashion: SRAM AXS road group offers 10-33 option, but that requires a switch to an XD-R driver.
Campagnolo recently introduced 11-34 in 12 speed but that also requires driver change _and_ there is an unknown wether Campy and Sram cassette spacing is close enough to work. 11 speed was, 12 speed - who knows?

Otherwise your best bet is to switch to 11 speed ROAD HG driver, go back to 11 speed and there are plethora of options there. You would need to switch to 11 speed shifter as well. If you ride mostly on the flats, then 10T cog is probably useless anyway, and in the 11 speed format you get anything from 11-21 to 11-50. My favorite for my local trails is 11-32 I have on my gravel grinder.

It's worth noting that once you get to a cassette with that range, you no longer need the long cage of Eagle. The only medium cage 12spd RD on the market right now is the Shimano XTR M9100 GS.
Provided such cassette existed, SRAM X-Horizon derailleurs are pretty agnostic when it comes to cassette size. You can ride 11-21 on long cage X0 eagle and it would work fine. Besides there are no "medium" cage derailleurs in the newer 1x12 drivetrains. There are "Long", "Very long" and "We should have stopped long time ago but somehow we kept on going long".

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Otherwise your best bet is to switch to 11 speed ROAD HG driver, go back to 11 speed and there are plethora of options there. You would need to switch to 11 speed shifter as well. If you ride mostly on the flats, then 10T cog is probably useless anyway, and in the 11 speed format you get anything from 11-21 to 11-50. My favorite for my local trails is 11-32 I have on my gravel grinder.
Would something like the 3T Bailout work without a driver swap? I'm not so familiar with it, but that how the webpage seems to read?

https://us.3t.bike/en/accessories/cassette-579.html

Still need an 11-speed shifter and it doesn't fix the long derailleur topic.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank's for the reply's.

The fact is i like the 10-50 on my holiday's in the alps and the 10-15 times a year i go riding in the south part of Belgium (non-flat).
Therefore going back to 11sp is not on my mind.

Switching the hub is no problem, i might even get me an extra wheelset.
The Sram 12sp road cassettes are indeed not quite budget friendly.

I can't find any 12sp rotor cassettes, only the 1x13 they make.
Maybe the distributor can tell me more about what's in the pipeline, i wil send them an email.
Hopefully they fit the X0 gear steps.

Greetz, Dieter.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

·
since 4/10/2009
34,600 Posts
Provided such cassette existed, SRAM X-Horizon derailleurs are pretty agnostic when it comes to cassette size. You can ride 11-21 on long cage X0 eagle and it would work fine. Besides there are no "medium" cage derailleurs in the newer 1x12 drivetrains. There are "Long", "Very long" and "We should have stopped long time ago but somehow we kept on going long".
Sure, longer cage will work on narrower range drivetrains. But why run a longer cage than is minimally necessary? With clutches, the extra slop is less of an issue, but tangling the derailleur in trail debris is still a risk I'd prefer to minimize.
I don't have an Eagle derailleur or a Shimano M9100 SGS derailleur, but I have a bunch from the 10-12spd range. Okay, the Shimano 12spd GS is longer than the 10 and 11spd med cage derailleurs (mix of SRAM and Shimano). But not by THAT much. Most of the length difference is due to the larger pulleys on the 12spd. Still, it's substantially shorter than 10spd SGS, and I would venture it's also substantially shorter than Eagle and 12spd SGS. So it still has the advantage of snagging on stuff less. The fact that 12spd medium cages are a touch longer than 10 and 11spd ones doesn't negate the advantages of using one when you have a narrower range cassette.

Now, to OP, if you like Eagle range on your trips to the alps, I'm not sure that the hassles of swapping to a different freehub body on another wheel are going to be worth it. You're going to have to adjust your drivetrain every time you make the swap. I know road riders who do cassette, chain, and rear derailleur swaps for specific races. Still a pain, but I at least see a point to that level of optimization when competition is tight and those changes can make or break finish positioning.

I'm FAR more likely to build a new bike that's optimized around certain riding conditions. I already do that, and I'm in the process of adjusting my stable because the range of conditions I regularly ride in has broadened.

·
Rides all the bikes!
4,489 Posts
There isn't one that is "Affordable", because very few people care and approx 95,4% of all off road riders were trained to think: "MOAR RANGE = BETTER".
I did a race last night where I was going up a 28% climb at 450w for 30 seconds, then pushing the 32x10 on the flatter sections. If my plans work out tomorrow, I'll be climbing about 5000' on my 35 pound bike to do a big downhill. Yes, some of use do want that range.

I'm sorry you don't have those conditions.

·
Registered
9,754 Posts
eTap AXS (i.e. road) chain is narrower, has larger rollers and has flat top links compared to mtb 12 speed chains. As such, eTap AXS (road) cassettes have different tooth profiles and more closely spaced cogs than 12 speed Eagle (mtb) cassettes and only work with eTap AXS chains, eTap AXS RDs and eTap AXS rings. These are all different from Eagle AXS which is the mtb stuff which is compatible with existing mechanical 12 speed cassettes, chains and rings. eTap and Eagle AXS shifters are interchangeable. Strangely, you can run a 12 speed Eagle chain on a eTap AXS rings if so desired.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I actually dug up this thread :p
But - I am seriously considering it. Although I'll try to wait for the all-steel version without the flashy oil-slick color. 80-something freedoms for a wear part that is half aluminum does not entice me.

Then again - I really want that 3x12, because reasons.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is it really so that such a thing as a close ratio cassette for an XC rig simply can't be done on anything more modern than a 10s system? I've been running a 11-28 cassette with great success for years but some day, perhaps sooner than later, a bike upgrade is on the cards and everything I've found makes it sound impossible.

If I buy a Shimano hub it's either an old HG or a Microspline - for the former I can put the 10s cassette on, an 11s is out of the question as it's really no more modern, and there are no close ratio Microspline cassettes. Perhaps in the future there will be but at least at the moment they don't exist.

If I get a SRAM hub it's of the XD type - and only wide-as-heck Eagle ratios available. The new XDR driver could take a suitable AXS cassette but my current knowledge is that the spacing is different between Eagle and AXS, not to mention that I have no idea if the XDR can be simply dropped in to replace the XD as it's wider.

In other words, am I correct in assuming that everyone wanting a 12s MTB is stuck with an ultra wide range cassette and unnecessarily large jumps between cogs (and in the cadence) regardless of if they want it or not? I hope that's not the case as it would be incredibly stupid from an efficiency point of view but everything points that way.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
In other words, am I correct in assuming that everyone wanting a 12s MTB is stuck with an ultra wide range cassette and unnecessarily large jumps between cogs (and in the cadence) regardless of if they want it or not? I hope that's not the case as it would be incredibly stupid from an efficiency point of view but everything points that way.
MTB = Pie-plate cassette. Because everyone does epic rides. Literally everyone. Even people who live in Florida. I'm a touch sarcastic. Just a touch.

But.

Supposedly - in 2020 Shimmy is going to release 12 speed Dura-Ace. Ultegra will follow suit. So microspline will, possibly, get a 12 speed narrow range option. For XD there are only AXS cassette for XDR driver. Otherwise - there is only this chinese thing i linked above.

Kind of sad really.

EDIT: If Ztto releases 12 speed 11-32 or 11-34 in all steel, satin or gold finish. I'm getting it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts