Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations on the best direction for a Made in the Shade, High Line, Baldwin, Templeton, and Slim Shady loop?
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
36,036 Posts
Depends on where you start/are comming from.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am starting at the southern end of Made in the Shade. My plan is to go out early Friday, as I have to be back to pick the kiddo up from school. This is pretty much an exploration since I haven't done any of these trails.
 

·
Elitest thrill junkie
Joined
·
36,036 Posts
Yep, do as suggested above.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
Well, you won't want to be late so plan accordingly. That loop is about 11.5 miles and for me about 1:40 riding time. Add in some route finding, some HAB, or taking in the sights and it's easily a 3 hr ride from VOC.

The upper section of Made in the Shade is more technical so if you think you might be pressed for time I'd head out out on the lower section and hit the higher on the way back. And if you really run out of time you can just bail onto 179 from Templeton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
climnron said:
Any recommendations on the best direction for a Made in the Shade, High Line, Baldwin, Templeton, and Slim Shady loop?
Do exactly as you described, but if you feel up to a super special version, start @ Broken Arrow, climb either the jeep road (suggested - its a long ride) or single-track, play at Sub Rock, roll down from Chicken Point, out on Llama, cross the highway @ Circle K, then get on Shade. Llama is so fast now it just rips. It's so neat to be up on Highline, looking across to where you were @ Chicken Pt, tracing your route along the cliffs of Llama...

On the way back you can take HT (instead of the climb up Slim Shady) to the Bell Rock Pathway, through the Chapel neighborhood, Mystic (Pig Tail!) to Morgan Rd and your car. :thumbsup:

I live adjacent to the Broken Arrow TH and did this exact loop from my house at least once a week for about 6 months. After about a dozen times or so it started getting old, but it's the ONLY loop my friends from Flagstaff ever want to do...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
Rollin'in'Zona said:
I live adjacent to the Broken Arrow TH and did this exact loop from my house at least once a week for about 6 months. After about a dozen times or so it started getting old, but it's the ONLY loop my friends from Flagstaff ever want to do...
You're joking right?:skep:

I agree with your Llama recommendation but after Llama the Bell Rock Pathway to the Circle K? And anything that involves Broken Arrow is pretty hard to stomach unless you throw in to the Hogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
rockman said:
You're joking right?:skep:

I agree with your Llama recommendation but after Llama the Bell Rock Pathway to the Circle K?
Around the butte is preferred, but I can't really suggest that. 5 minutes on the BRP is a cheap price to pay for adding Broken Arrow and Llama to a great loop.

rockman said:
And anything that involves Broken Arrow is pretty hard to stomach unless you throw in to the Hogs.
Why? It's a nice warm-up to a great loop.
 

·
bland
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
rockman said:
You're joking right?:skep:

I agree with your Llama recommendation but after Llama the Bell Rock Pathway to the Circle K? And anything that involves Broken Arrow is pretty hard to stomach unless you throw in to the Hogs.
Broken Arrow is RAD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,836 Posts
To each his own I suppose but I find the BA singletrack to be an unsustainable mess. I ride it to get to High on the Hog or Hog Wash. Or to gaze at the white line and wish I was younger.

And my complaint regarding Bell Rock Pathway would be...why recommend that as a downhill when you can cross 179 and drop the vertical to VOC on lower Made in the Shade? I can see starting with Bell Rock Pathway as a warmup to other options of big loops in that area that also tie in HE and the Hogs. It's all good, even BA.:)
 

·
bland
Joined
·
1,294 Posts
rockman said:
To each his own I suppose but I find the BA singletrack to be an unsustainable mess. I ride it to get to High on the Hog or Hog Wash. Or to gaze at the white line and wish I was younger.

And my complaint regarding Bell Rock Pathway would be...why recommend that as a downhill when you can cross 179 and drop the vertical to VOC on lower Made in the Shade? I can see starting with Bell Rock Pathway as a warmup to other options of big loops in that area that also tie in HE and the Hogs. It's all good, even BA.:)
Yeah, I guess that BA is a very qualified "RAD." Going down broken arrow from chicken point is really fun. All those tight banked turns and doubles are really fun. I can spend hours (well maybe an hour) on subrock's plethora of lines. Climbing BA is kind of terrible. It's good for improving your skills but I wouldn't call it fun. All of the optional lines around BA are rad for sure, maybe even themostrad...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
969 Posts
Yeah, for the proposed route I suggest doing the singletrack only to Sub Rock - that's easy and bails off before the steep bits. Or just take the road from the bottom.

After a bit of slickrock play on Sub Rock, go up the road.

BA is in my backyard, so it's my default "after work" ride, and as such I've gotten to the point that I can clean the singletrack minus usually one obstacle, on a 33lb bike, most of the time. It aint fun, and I would NOT do it if I intended to do a longish ride after - takes all I've got...

But the road is a GREAT warm-up, and it's so scenic, and slickrock is fun, and Chicken Point is cool, and the descent from CP is a blazing uber fun fest...
 

·
Huffy Rider
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
Climnron, when do plan to start? I will ride it with you if you want. It will be fun and you wont get lost!

Brenda
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
motochick said:
Climnron, when do plan to start? I will ride it with you if you want. It will be fun and you wont get lost!

Brenda
I can get there by 9:45 (maybe a little earlier if I rush the kiddo off to school). I have to leave by 3 to 3:30 to pick him up, unless my wife is able to get him before her night shift at the hospital. If she is able I would still need to leave by 4. If that works for you let me know.
Ronnie
 

·
Huffy Rider
Joined
·
1,401 Posts
0945 (or earlier) will work as a start time, I need to be done by 1330 cuz hubby has to work. We would have 3.5 hrs or so depending what time we actually left, doable. There are plenty of other trails to ride after we do "the loop" if you wanted to stay for a few more hours. Let me know if you wanna meet, and do you have a Red Rock pass? If not we will meet where you won't ned one.

Brenda
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top