Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious.......are any of you guys clipped in on your DH rigs? My typical rides are getting more extreme (I live in RI, so keep things in perspective) and less XC. I've been using Egg Beater Mallet C's and don't really like the thought of re-learning how to use platforms. I'm wearing arm/leg armor and I'm veteran of many crashes, but none of them have landed me in serious injury. Your thoughts/wisdom/sarcasm are appreciated.

· Registered
25 Posts
I'm rockin a VP-Free with Time Z's. I've been raised from the cross country world and don't see any other option but the clipless. It's just my preference. I've hit some 10-15 footers no problem with clipless, it's not the pedals that matter, just what you are comfortable with. I hit some rather technical DH too in VT with clipless. I'm just so used to it and clip out when I need to put a foot down on sharp turns.

· Registered
603 Posts
IMO, platform pedals (good ones) with heeled shoes is the only way to go. I wear leather "sports" shoes that have a raised heel. The raised heel let's your foot get in a perfect position very easily by locking the heel behind the pedal. This is better than skate shoes because your foot is less likely to come off or change position when hitting a jump or drop. You can really push forward hard off drops with a heeled shoe. I've noticed skate shoes slip around if you have your feet flat and try to push hard off of a drop or jump. Heeled shoes also give you a longer pedal stroke than skate shoes by allowing the foot to push forwards before the top of the pedal stroke. The cool thing about heeled shoes is that you can also bail your feet off instantly like skate shoes.

I think the only people who should use clipless are XC-Road-Trials bikers. Clipless pedals mask a lot of a person's bad riding tendencies for DH/FR. I've seen guys who ride FR with clipless, they don't seem to have any clue as to how you should "ollie" (bunny hop) the bike off jumps and drops for better air and control. They tend to just ride up to the lip and jump straight up relying 100% on the pedals to pull the bike up. That's really bad technique. They also tend to lack proper body english too for balancing and turns and rely on pulling up on pedals.

Not to mention, clipless crashes are usually much worse than platform if the rider doesn't anticipate the crash and eject in time.

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
MicroHuck said:
IMO, platform pedals (good ones) with heeled shoes is the only way to go. I wear leather "sports" shoes that have a raised heel. The raised heel let's your foot get in a perfect position very easily by locking the heel behind the pedal. This is better than skate shoes because your foot is less likely to come off or change position when hitting a jump or drop. You can really push forward hard off drops with a heeled shoe. I've noticed skate shoes slip around if you have your feet flat and try to push hard off of a drop or jump. Heeled shoes also give you a longer pedal stroke than skate shoes by allowing the foot to push forwards before the top of the pedal stroke. The cool thing about heeled shoes is that you can also bail your feet off instantly like skate shoes.

I think the only people who should use clipless are XC-Road-Trials bikers. Clipless pedals mask a lot of a person's bad riding tendencies for DH/FR. I've seen guys who ride FR with clipless, they don't seem to have any clue as to how you should "ollie" (bunny hop) the bike off jumps and drops for better air and control. They tend to just ride up to the lip and jump straight up relying 100% on the pedals to pull the bike up. That's really bad technique. They also tend to lack proper body english too for balancing and turns and rely on pulling up on pedals.

Not to mention, clipless crashes are usually much worse than platform if the rider doesn't anticipate the crash and eject in time.
Hahahahahahah heeled shoes.

Yea, Carter,Minaar,Wentz, and TONS of other pros who ride clipless must mask there poor skills.

When are people going to understand that it is all PERSONAL preference?

· Registered
112 Posts
Rooster said:
Just curious.......are any of you guys clipped in on your DH rigs? My typical rides are getting more extreme (I live in RI, so keep things in perspective) and less XC. I've been using Egg Beater Mallet C's and don't really like the thought of re-learning how to use platforms. I'm wearing arm/leg armor and I'm veteran of many crashes, but none of them have landed me in serious injury. Your thoughts/wisdom/sarcasm are appreciated.
I ride DH clipped in when it's rough, like rockgardens, stutterbumps, roots, etc....because
I don't have to worry about the position of my feet and they don't bounce around like they do on a platform pedal.
I also have more control over my bike and I can pedal a lot better with my mallet's. And I'm sick of foot-slip-from-flatpedal-crashes.
In the beginning, I was a little scared to jump with spd's, but you can unclip faster than you might think and the extra control makes it even easier to pull up or correct your mistakes. Most of the DH-pro's ride with spd's, even some Redbull rampage riders preferred to be clipped in....

I ride with flats for NorthShore type stunts, dirtjumping, street and drops.

You could buy a pair a flats and swap pedals depending on what you're going to ride that day, like I do.

· Riding dirt since 1970
584 Posts
Just a lil confesion: I've been a Time ATAC fiend since '99. SPDs, then Frogs. Since then I've ridin the whole deal (all over). I currently ride the Time Zs, they have 2500 miles so far with no service (minimal water submersion) -just like my 3 other sets of ATAC carbons that I have never serviced, and are still in service. As much as I dislike supporting a country that craps on its' friends, this is the pedal to buy. Been running their goods since '99, and they are one manufacturer that I have never needed to contact for a failure.

· DOWNHILL MAFIA
1,364 Posts
I asked the same question a couple weeks back. I'm surprised you werent prompted by several people to use the SEARCH function. As I so many times have.

Anyway I'm looking to go clipless when I get my DH rig (hardtail 4 now).
I still don't understand why you clipless riders feel you need to "learn" to ride platforms. Its like saying you need to learn how to walk barefoot.
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: ?

· Don't skid
1,157 Posts
I do both but i have 3 bikes, 4 if you count my beer running beach cruiser. I feel I am faster on most DH in clipless but for FR aqnd DJ I definately use platforms. That 1/2 second it takes to get unclipped could mean a trip to the ER. But again I think for most dh that I've been on clipless is the way to go, just don't try a lot of new stuff in clipless pedals, it hurts.

· Registered
133 Posts
TheSherpa said:
Hahahahahahah heeled shoes.

Yea, Carter,Minaar,Wentz, and TONS of other pros who ride clipless must mask there poor skills. [/B]
Sorry about that Sherpa...I staggered into this room last night and fired without thinking. Dropped my own neg. bomb. Showed no class and for that I apologize. But to add something to the topic, we've all got to admire the way Sammy Hill rides those flats...Jim

· Uhhhhh...
2,889 Posts
manwithgun said:
Never met the dude, but why does he always come offf as an *******... yeah you sherpa. just pop off with no clout. This is just an open forum where micro was tellin us about his own set-up and you come in with a neg. bomb. Take away the keyboard, I'll bet yer a chump in person...JIM.
Huh? What?

· Cynical Bystander
6,763 Posts
I usually run flats. On my hardtail I've got Azonic Fusions and match those up with my old school Vans Rowleys with the waffle pattern. I have to physically lift my shoe up in order to move it around because it grips so much. So thats what I usually run on all my bikes.

I also have clipless, some MalletCs, and probably will start using them more but mostly for trails. I came into biking immediately into freeride/dh type stuff so I've never really gotten used to clipless but like everybody else has said, its just personal preference. If you feel most comfortable on clipless, why change?

· Registered
1,117 Posts
manwithgun said:
This is just an open forum where micro was tellin us about his own set-up and you come in with a neg. bomb. Take away the keyboard, I'll bet yer a chump in person...JIM.
Does this sound like he was talking about 'his own set-up'? Read it again slowly. I don't know you in person, but you sure are a chump here....

MicroHuck said:

· The endless excuses guy
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thx

Good info people. It was one of those questions that seemed to stoop-ed to ask, but your feedback was excellent. Never considered doing a search for similar threads cuz I don't hang out much in the DH/FR forum with all you bad-azzes. Thanks, Matt

Deweydude, I had a wet dream with your avatar last night!

· Registered
428 Posts
It's Preference...

Running clipless pedals is really just a preference. Some riders swear by them, and others want no part of them. While most of the top DH pros run SPDs, there are plenty who still run platform pedals, Sam Hill and Nathan Rennie to mention a few.

It's nice that we have choices, unlike BMX racing. If you go out to a BMX track, 99.9% of the racers all run clipless pedals--even the little kids who are barely strong enough to get their feet in and out the pedals. Since everyone else runs SPDs in BMX, you have to run them to stay competive with other riders.

· Registered
46 Posts
SM-55 cleat versus SM-51cleat

I ride shimano 636 or 646 pedals, and allways use the "multi-release" sm-55 cleat. You can allways get out of them when you have to bale. Its criminal that the cleats that come with the pedals are the sm-51's...they are way too scary in dicy situations. Those that are used to the 51's before they try the 55's often find that they yank out of the 55's too easily, which is unnerving, but once you adjust (and smooth out your spin) they are great.

I'll also use platform pedals when a ride doesn't have much flat or uphill. Also, as stated previously one's technique suffers if you only use clipless.

· Registered
458 Posts
cool im rocking flats right now, but going to clipless for trail riding, and swiching back to flats for freeride skinnies and stuff,

the question now is shin guards for clipless?? b/c flats get your legs 99% of the time (not DH but trail and softcore stuff)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.