Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately i have been seeing people up on the UCSC trails doin DH with platform clipless petals with the cleats, ive talked to them and they use the clips off and on...

how many of you FR or DHers use clipless petals wether they are just clipless or platform clippless?

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
Clipless has its benifits, mainly not having to worry about your feet shifting around on the pedals throguh the rough and rocky stuff - but if you are good with flats its not much of an issue.
You also have the ability to unweight the rear of the bike easier, but agian, if you have the proper technique down not much advantage over flats.
Getting out of clipless pedals instantly is no problem, I have unlipped and dabbed the instant I was losing it with clipless many times, however here the advantage goes to flats because you dont have to think about getting your foot clipped back in after the dab.
The only real benifit is putting down more power in your pedal strokes, but that only applies if you have proper pedalling technique down, and there is less benifit on a DH bike because it's hard to get clean full circular pedaling while standing up (but still an advantage if you get real good with clipless pedaling).

I use Crank Bros Mallets

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
i've seen plenty of pics of people riding with em. i don't see why not... most bmx racers do. hell, i ride clipless about 50% of the time i do urban riding just cause it gives me a lot of benifits when i'm doing stuff. i usualy just ride platforms when i'm doing low tech stuff.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
mtb_biker said:
i use clipless for DH racing. For general dirt jumping/messing around i prefer platforms.
yeah, jumping with style tends to leave me uncliped, but i've learned if i keep it natrual and don't worry about my foot being uncliped itjust finds its way back to where it should be and it goes back in or does on landings.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
mtb_biker said:
i use clipless for DH racing. For general dirt jumping/messing around i prefer platforms.
yeah, jumping with style tends to leave me uncliped, but i've learned if i keep it natrual and don't worry about my foot being uncliped itjust finds its way back to where it should be and it goes back in or does on landings. if you wanna just go mess around and do low speed stuff clipless is NOT the way to go. you'll always find yourself with that stupid fall that feels like it is slowmotion and you are thinking to yourself "wow, this is the most lame crash ever... i hope no one is watching!"

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.