Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for the best of both worlds. LBS suggest Time Z Control which looks good, but I heard it is not a standard. I am also thinkking about Crank Bros, but dunno which model...a little help is appreciated.

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
The Time pedals use a standard; their own. Crank Bros Mallet-C design is similar, but a different standard. Shimano uses another standard, their own of course (and they lease their spd standard to others, so I suppose they're more of a standard in the pedal world than anything else now). If you want adjustability of release the Time and Crank Bros designs aren't accommodating, but have the best mud release. I think Shimano discontinued the one with the best cage, the 646 (the current models have resin or metal cages that lack the grip of the 646 iirc). What clipless pedal do you use now?

·
Vaginatarian
5,685 Posts
I have the Times, I love them, I've used Shimano & Frogs but the times have allways worked the best for me. The Spd's don't have any play and when caked with mud or snow don't work too well, the frogs while having some play dont click very hard so I had trouble telling if I was really clicked in or not & the cleats are expensive. The play I'm talking about is side to side (good for the knees)
One thing to keep in mind if you use toe spikes, the spikes usually interfere with your platforms so getting in & out will be a problem

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No clipless yet

I currently have a pair of Ritcheys when I purchased my 99 Stumpjumper, but have not used them. I ordered a FOES and currently looking for pedals. So, Z Control sound good??

·
Bike to the Bone...
8,290 Posts
Bikinfoolferlife said:
The Time pedals use a standard; their own. Crank Bros Mallet-C design is similar, but a different standard. Shimano uses another standard, their own of course (and they lease their spd standard to others, so I suppose they're more of a standard in the pedal world than anything else now). If you want adjustability of release the Time and Crank Bros designs aren't accommodating, but have the best mud release. I think Shimano discontinued the one with the best cage, the 646 (the current models have resin or metal cages that lack the grip of the 646 iirc). What clipless pedal do you use now?
The Shimano 647 is pretty good, if a little heavy (if that's a concern). I has good mud tolerance (at least for SPD).

·
Registered
479 Posts
I use the wellgo wpd-95(rodeo). It is similar to the shimano m 324...and i think pricepoint has them in a combo deal on there sale page. This pedal has the clip on one side and cage on the other. You can pedal on either side but it feels slippery on the clip side if you are wearing regular shoes. When riding with the cleats, I can ride clipped in, or on the other side and it feels like a standard cage with regular shoes...

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.