Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a set of clipless pedals and I'm wondering... When you are clipped in, how much lateral movement are you allowed before you get clipped out? I am able to rotate my feet a total range of about 25-30 degrees and stay clipped in. Is this normal? It makes me feel like I am on ice, yet I know I am clipped in... Shimano spds with sidis

·
I win.
713 Posts
Make sure your cleats are securely fastened to the bottom of your shoes. They have a tendency to loosen up for the first few rides.

With an spd system you really shouldn't be getting anymore than 5 degrees of float.

You may also want to try tightening the release tension screws on the pedals themselves. Hopefully one of those two things works for you!

Good luck!

·
Roll Tide
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since this is my first clipless setup I had the tension very loose. After a three hour ride today with no spills and many stops (a few unexpected) I tightened the release mech and it has reduced the excessive float. Thanks for your assistance guys

·
Former Bike Wrench
15,976 Posts
I demo'd some and they felt like my feet were in ice...wasn't for me.

I used to be a Shimano guy, but these days I like the Crank Bros for the mud clearing and a little extra float. But it did take a while to get used to them. I'm sure if I rode Frogs long enough, I would get used to them as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.