Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,842 Posts
Clips: easier bunnyhops (but still you should learn on flats), better pedalling, when you're on rocky stuff your feet won't fly off, BUT they clog in the mud, are less confidence-inspiring, have less feel, can breed bad habits.

Flats: Better feel, more confidence, you can dab, you can jump/freeride well, BUT your feet can fly off, don't pedal as well.

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
DJ and trick oriented FR = flats

Straight up rocky/rough trails I want to fly down = clips

I've ridden enough on each that I can do either on anything but still prefer one over the other in certain situations.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
For me its just the opposite. I get better feel with clips, and I have more confidence with them. I just have a very tough time staying on flats throught the rough. I have never had a crash where I didn't come out. The only time I don't are super slow spped tip overs that everyone has while learinging

·
Racer
304 Posts
i tried mallets last season and i had a hell of a time clipping in and out in race situations and when I'm about to fall. Are shimanos easier to clip in and out of? I think i would be more confiden on clipless pedals if i knew i could clip out in any situation.

·
Ricky DH
2,249 Posts
I guess it's just how comfortable you are with them. I started out riding with them on my trail bike, after about 4 years or so I bought my first DH bike so I bought a pair of the same pedals and I had no problem what so ever using them to DH.

When I first started using them I about 3 or 4 good crashes so I loosened the clips so that they were very easy to get in and out of. As I got better with them I would tighten them more and more.

I know the Mallets use a different kind of clip than the shimanos so I couldn't tell you. My buddy just bought a pair and we joke about how he's going to bust his ass till he gets used to the Mallets.

·
aka Jesse Palmer
857 Posts
Crank Bros pedals can be a little tough to get into and out of for the first ride or two until the fresh cleats break in, then they are super easy to get in and out of once you get the motion down. Make sure you have the cleats on the right shoes depending on if you want faster release or more float (read the directions).

PS: I use Mallets on my Azonic Saber, Egg Beaters on my XC race bike, and Smarties on my road bike.

·
Registered
628 Posts
I've always been all about cliped in.
More control of the bike when you are mechanically attached to it.
During my learning curve on DH/FR bike/terrain I've switched to flats, not because I cannot get out of clips efficiently/quickly, rather getting back into them on the steep/rough/tech terrain we ride was near impossible.
Now that I've gained some experience/skill on the big bike, I am seriously contemplating throwing my ritchey's back on, and dusting off my sidi's.

To each thier own.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
metalMTB said:
i tried mallets last season and i had a hell of a time clipping in and out in race situations and when I'm about to fall. Are shimanos easier to clip in and out of? I think i would be more confiden on clipless pedals if i knew i could clip out in any situation.
I went from Shimano clipless to Mallets last summer, and even once they were broken in, I still found the Shimano's much easier to into and out of. My foot always came out when I needed to with the Shimano's, but I had two crashes last year where my foot stayed stuck in the Mallets. Still, I like the platform on the Mallets better, so I kept them. I only use them for really long XC rides though...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.