Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what type of pedals to get for my GF. Shes got platforms on her Kona Blast now. Shes tried clipless (Shimano 520s). Her original shoes were PI Grooves and she hated them so she went back to the running sneaker/platform setup. Just this past weekend we went to a shop that carried Specialized and she bought a new pair of shoes. So im thinking a set of clipess/platform pedals would do the trick so she could still pedal a section if she didnt want to be clipped in.
So that being said what pedals would you recomend or have experience with?

thanks
sean

·
Registered
67 Posts
mallet clipless

My husband likes his crank brother mallets and I have a pair of shimano clipless platforms.I use the black cleat so I can get my foot out in any direction. His sheds mud much better then mine.

Kat

·
Smile and think light!
172 Posts
I see that you're in NJ - I found in IL that the sticky dirt isn't great on spd.- which work fine in CA. I also tried crank bros, but I would recommend only the high end as the cheaper ones wear and you tend to fall out of them pretty easily which could be really discouraging, not to mention dangerous! Times solve all of these problems, but are a little pricy and a little harder to find with the current crank bros craze. Times don't clog up with mud and I never come unclipped when I don't want to.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
I did run clipless pedals for a bit, and CrankBros Mallet pedals were the best that I used. I highly recommend them. They shed mud better than most others, as well.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
cowgirlonwheels said:
I see that you're in NJ - I found in IL that the sticky dirt isn't great on spd.- which work fine in CA. I also tried crank bros, but I would recommend only the high end as the cheaper ones wear and you tend to fall out of them pretty easily which could be really discouraging, not to mention dangerous! Times solve all of these problems, but are a little pricy and a little harder to find with the current crank bros craze. Times don't clog up with mud and I never come unclipped when I don't want to.
I'm not sure which low end crank bros you're talking about, but I've had a pair of Mallet C's for years that have held up to some pretty good abuse and are still working great.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cowgirlonwheels said:
I have Time XS on my bike now and have had a pair of Time Zs. I may go that route again but I thought by looking at the Mallets design that she would be able to have a more secure platform to pedal on if she decided not to clip in for a section. I felt my Time Zs that if i wasnt clipped in them my foot had a sensation of just floating on them and could slip off.

·
black & blue
235 Posts
I love my Crank Bros Mallets - they are the best of both worlds, clipless with a more stable feeling of platforms. They even work fine as a platform if you're riding and can't get clipped in right away.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like the crank brother mallets (magnesium) also because if you want to ride unclipped they are a very large platform. I ride some time clipped on one side and unclipped on the other, in case the trail gets too technical and I want to stop in hurry. The mallets also have good grip on the platform so if you are not clipped in your foot stays firmly in place.

I keep them lubricated with chain lube, the wax type and this helps to get in and out easily. I tried shimano before but they were too hard to get in and out of in a hurry and the platform was not as large.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ibikergal said:
I like the crank brother mallets (magnesium) also because if you want to ride unclipped they are a very large platform. I ride some time clipped on one side and unclipped on the other, in case the trail gets too technical and I want to stop in hurry. The mallets also have good grip on the platform so if you are not clipped in your foot stays firmly in place.

I keep them lubricated with chain lube, the wax type and this helps to get in and out easily. I tried shimano before but they were too hard to get in and out of in a hurry and the platform was not as large.
yeah thats what i was hoping to hear.....that they're grip when you're unclipped. I've had Time Z on my old Heckler that felt kinda washy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.