Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm Riding It
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new with biking (only biking for about 3-4 months) and I thought I was used to the clipin pedals. But I feel really uncomfortable going up steep hills while clipped in.
Any tips?
Or is it just some getting used to thing? :confused:
 

·
Old man on a bike
Joined
·
12,395 Posts
Just get used to them, maybe practice on hills where you clip out before it gets to the point of being critical, once you are accustomed to it, it'll be second nature and you won't even think about it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,014 Posts
While I can't speak with personal experience, I can tell you about I friend I had with the same problem. My buddy bought his forst bike along with clipless pedals. Try as he did he couldn't get used to them. I gave him my old platforms so he could concentrate on just getting used to shifting, braking, etc. He developed his skills through the year and the following year he tried with the clipless pedals. He's a sworn, clipless-only guy now. ;)

You can always try and buy a pair of platforms and focus more on just getting used to being on a bike period. Once you develop your skills (and muscles) it might be a more natural progression. For the price of platforms, it certainly wouldn't break the bank to try. If you can't get used to the clipless you can always sell them and easily cover the cost of the platforms in the process.

EDIT - one other thing - adjusting the fore/aft position of the cleat, IMHO, makes a BIG difference in ..... everything related to riding. You can try this, too.
 

·
bi-winning
Joined
·
11,109 Posts
oilerfan30 said:
I'm new with biking (only biking for about 3-4 months) and I thought I was used to the clipin pedals. But I feel really uncomfortable going up steep hills while clipped in.
Any tips?
Or is it just some getting used to thing? :confused:
It does require practice, but it will be worth it. I am just learning myself, but being cliped in allows you to put more power to the pedals, and will help you to get up those hills.
 

·
I'm Riding It
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AndrewTO said:
While I can't speak with personal experience, I can tell you about I friend I had with the same problem. My buddy bought his forst bike along with clipless pedals. Try as he did he couldn't get used to them. I gave him my old platforms so he could concentrate on just getting used to shifting, braking, etc. He developed his skills through the year and the following year he tried with the clipless pedals. He's a sworn, clipless-only guy now. ;)

You can always try and buy a pair of platforms and focus more on just getting used to being on a bike period. Once you develop your skills (and muscles) it might be a more natural progression. For the price of platforms, it certainly wouldn't break the bank to try. If you can't get used to the clipless you can always sell them and easily cover the cost of the platforms in the process.

EDIT - one other thing - adjusting the fore/aft position of the cleat, IMHO, makes a BIG difference in ..... everything related to riding. You can try this, too.
I have the pedals as loose as they can be, and I think I am already on the verge of getting used to them. I'm comfortable using them on anything but very steep uphill climbs. They are so much easier to pedal with though. You get twice as much power per pedal with them. It's awesome.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
i to am having some crazy problems with getting out before i go on my side...and i think i might take the advice of andrew i think it was with how his friend worked it out. im going to get some platforms and just get used to the bike before i go any where with the clipless again.....

i just hope im not out the $70 that i put down for the shoes to never use them again
 

·
I'm Riding It
Joined
·
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AdamVT2 said:
i to am having some crazy problems with getting out before i go on my side...and i think i might take the advice of andrew i think it was with how his friend worked it out. im going to get some platforms and just get used to the bike before i go any where with the clipless again.....

i just hope im not out the $70 that i put down for the shoes to never use them again
Try loosening your pedals to as loose as they can be. I found out mine were very tight and that was why i was having trouble. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
110 Posts
it could also jsut be your center of gravity, since you said you havnt been riding that long. Jsut liek when you go down a steep hill you have your behind behind the back wheel, when going up you cna lean a bit forword too, jsut dont re-lie on your handle bars and pull up on them or else you will get your front tire of the ground and reele mes sup there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
290 Posts
I've been using clipless pedals for about ten years now and love them, after riding them for about 2 months I decided I would never go back. Here's what helped me gain confidence:
I learned how to get out of them. Practice on flat ground, maybe even pavement, get used to getting out, try "kicking" out quickly, just practice getting in and out of them. Once you get used to getting out of them quickly and realize how easy it is, you will feel much more comfortable riding them.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top