Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's hot and what's not, i'm after a clipless pedal that i can use for DH/ freeride.

Ideally something that will grip my shoe if i choose to keep it unclipped for a bend or two. I;'m currently running 5.10's and whatever the pedals that come with the Demo 7 are.

Anyone have any suggestions, i've ridden clips so long on my XC and road bikes that when i try jumps without them i'm always leaving the pedals.

Nearly lost a 'nutt' today because of it.....

·
Registered
276 Posts
Maybe you should try and work on not doing that? If you use clipless pedals you're only going to mask a problem that you haven't corrected. You would be better of working on keeping your feet planted; then going to use clipless pedals if you still feel the need.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Diggidy said:
Maybe you should try and work on not doing that? If you use clipless pedals you're only going to mask a problem that you haven't corrected. You would be better of working on keeping your feet planted; then going to use clipless pedals if you still feel the need.
I know i should work on not letting the bike fall away in the air, but i compress on the ramps, i can't help it. I've ridden 20 years on clipless, so it's embedded.

Also it'll mean i can ride back up to the top again without having to push, pushing sucks..

Those Times look good.....

·
Capricious youth...
3,814 Posts
New Crank Brother's Mallets are fantastic pedals because instead of just the end plates having grooves, they added pins to the pedals. I'm running the 661 Filter SPD shoes, and they grip those pedals just fine if I can't get clipped in.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
sq225917 said:
What's hot and what's not, i'm after a clipless pedal that i can use for DH/ freeride.

Ideally something that will grip my shoe if i choose to keep it unclipped for a bend or two. I;'m currently running 5.10's and whatever the pedals that come with the Demo 7 are.

Anyone have any suggestions, i've ridden clips so long on my XC and road bikes that when i try jumps without them i'm always leaving the pedals.

Nearly lost a 'nutt' today because of it.....
You might just want to keep practicing with the flats. If you can ride flats effectively it will make you smoother when you roll out the clipless pedals. I had the same problem at first, clipless pedals can really be a crutch when you get airborne, it's worth it to develop proper technique for jumping.

Believe me, it will improve your riding all around to get better on flats!

·
Chillin the Most
4,025 Posts
Linga115 said:
i got the PD-M545 same as the 647 but with a metal platform. great support all around
Similiar indeed, but not the same.

The pedal bodies themselves are quite different, mind you I said pedal body, not cage. The pedal body on the 545 is an older model that tends to trap mud more and is heavier. The 647's use the same body concept as the newer XTR, XT, 540 & 520 pedals, which shed mud better and are lighter.

Not hating on you, just correcting a common misconception . :thumbsup:

To the OP, any of the shimano DH, time platform & Crank Brothers Mallets will suit you. I personally prefer the shimanos, as I can adjust the tension. I've had issues in the past releasing from Time and CB pedals. Plus the CB mallets require you to use "shims" to work properly with most shoes.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I recently switched to clipless for dh, before that I used them for xc only. I'm comfortable with flats but every once in a while I lose the pedals in the air. It doesn't happen very often but when it does it sucks. I also have slipping problems in the really rough stuff, even with 5.10's. The clips help me stay on the pedals in the rocks, and I can pedals whenever I want

·
Registered
63 Posts
On Time Z and love them, but I come from years of XC on Time pedals.

I was wondering the opposite, i see most guys on flats and wonder if there is an advantage other than cost and slow speed stunt stability? I have a couple pairs of flats in a box and was thinking of trying it out? I ride resort DH.

·
squish is good
4,933 Posts
Dunc said:
On Time Z and love them, but I come from years of XC on Time pedals.

I was wondering the opposite, i see most guys on flats and wonder if there is an advantage other than cost and slow speed stunt stability? I have a couple pairs of flats in a box and was thinking of trying it out? I ride resort DH.
Advantages that I've noticed is that I ride smoother, I'm more active with my body rather than just standing and plowing over everything. You have to or else the bike will knock you off it. For me it's led to more confidence and getting downhill faster. You can also take your inside foot off in corners and go back to pedaling immediately instead of fishing around trying to engage the clip.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Clutchman83 said:
Advantages that I've noticed is that I ride smoother, I'm more active with my body rather than just standing and plowing over everything. You have to or else the bike will knock you off it. For me it's led to more confidence and getting downhill faster. You can also take your inside foot off in corners and go back to pedaling immediately instead of fishing around trying to engage the clip.
2nd that

i started DH on clipless because i always rode clipless XC, so i figured the transition would be fine. i was doing ok, but i bit on the flats/5.10s combo and ive found that my confidence and smoothness as dramatically improved. it does make you a better rider.

to the OP, i run the older Mallets. great pedal. but i also prefer crankbrothers clipless on XC

·
外国人
412 Posts
shimano m545 for me. tried the mallets and the spindles always bent out on me! plus the fact that i couldn't get a consistent clip in/out on those darn mallets :)

only downside with this model is MUD; i think the m647 sheds mud better

·
Pin it
213 Posts
I am used to riding an all mountain bike with old style mallets, and just bought a DH bike that came with flats. I don't have trouble in the air, bu find myself getting kicked off of the pedals through rough sections. The previous owner weighed 200# and I weigh 150#, do I just need a new spring, a different pedal choice, or do I need to learn to ride better?

Sorry if I'm thread jacking

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.