Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Understandable.
Ride flats with trailrunners. Fortes from Peformance or stubby pinned Wellgo B143s are reasonably priced.
Technique is necessary to do it right just as it is with clipless. Use the low heels method and you will stick.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,442 Posts
I'm back into Mtn biking after long hiatus.
I rode road bike with clipless pedals and was very comfortable with that.
I have clipless pedals on my new Mtn bike build. I'm still a bit leery.

Question: Do any of you guys/gals ride normal running shoes or other shoes with clipless pedals?

Need to ease into this thing again.....
Generally a very bad idea due to significantly less grip than a normal flat pedal, along with "unclipping for technical terrain". Those are both red flags to use flat pedals, also to improve skills before attempting a certain trail/section.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understandable.
Ride flats with trailrunners. Fortes from Peformance or stubby pinned Wellgo B143s are reasonably priced.
Technique is necessary to do it right just as it is with clipless. Use the low heels method and you will stick.
Thanks for the reply. But im an old dude neophyte here. Ya wanna break that down a bit?
Thanks!!!!!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Generally a very bad idea due to significantly less grip than a normal flat pedal, along with "unclipping for technical terrain". Those are both red flags to use flat pedals, also to improve skills before attempting a certain trail/section.
Yeah, was wondering whether to put the old flat pedals on the new bike....hmm.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
May have been a fluke but when I first started riding I broke 3 toes riding with flat pedals and athletic/running shoes. I'd recommend at least get a good biking shoe to protect your feet, there are many good, inexpensive riding shoes that are comfortable to ride with flat pedals and later if/when you go clipless the same shoe will accept a cleat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts