Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm the proud owner of a Trek Fuel EX 5.5, which came stock with clipped (i.e. strapped) pedals. I'd like to convert to a reasonably priced set of clipless pedals, but I don't want to buy a set of eggbeaters or other similar pedals that will make it impossible for me to ride without bike shoes on.

In other words, I'd like to be able to use the clipless pedals (with bike shoes) when doing significant riding. But on those occasions when the Fuel is pressed into service pulling my daughter to the park (yes, it's my one ride these days), I don't want to have to strap on my bike shoes.

So I'm looking for pedals that leave some kind of platform, that are reliable and durable, work well in varying MB conditions (mud, rain, etc.), are user friendly for a rider that's new to clipless pedals, are reasonably priced, and are a reasonable weight (i.e. not cast iron:D ).

That's not too much to ask, is it?:madman:

·
keeping it dirty
409 Posts
I picked up a pair of Forte Campus pedals for cheap. They seem heavy to me (compared to regular clipless pedals) but the price is right and the flexibility for SPD or "regular" is there.. What I also like about these is that even if you ride on the platform side with the cleats in your bike shoes, the cleat doesn't hit the bottom side of the SPD pedal part, if that makes sense.

·
keeping it dirty
409 Posts
highdelll said:
I've said it before, so why not say it again.
get pedals designed for the job
real flats and real clipless.
combo pedals do neither job well
I agree with this. I should have specified that the combo pedals are for my GF, who is very new to biking, wants to try clipless, but wants to be able to switch to standard pedals if she finds that she is too scared during a ride. I much prefer my full SPD pedals, but I couldn't convince her to put a set on her bike.

·
keeping it dirty
409 Posts
Actually the shoes she has (Shimano WM40) have decent grip on the flat side of the pedal.. If not better, then at least the same as the grip she would have with her normal "biking" shoes and her stock pedals. If/when she slips and falls from this combo I'll be sure to tell her "I told you so! And so did highdelll from the internets!" :thumbsup:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know it's a compromise, but here's the deal:

80% of the time, I'd be riding with bike shoes and clipped in.

The other 20% of the time is grabbing my 2 year old, throwing her in the trailer, and rolling down to the park (or running down to the store, etc.) It's those times that I'm worried about having eggbeaters. It's those times that I'm going to have on gym shoes, flipflops, boat shoes, or some other similarly inappropriate shoes for biking. Those trips tend to happen on the fly, on the spur of the moment, and I don't want to have to swap out pedals before we run to the park.

It's a compromise, I know. But it's a compromise that means I get more saddle time, and means that I can make one less trip in the car...so it's a compromise that I'm willing to make. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
313 Posts
lawfarm said:
I know it's a compromise, but here's the deal:

80% of the time, I'd be riding with bike shoes and clipped in.

The other 20% of the time is grabbing my 2 year old, throwing her in the trailer, and rolling down to the park (or running down to the store, etc.) It's those times that I'm worried about having eggbeaters. It's those times that I'm going to have on gym shoes, flipflops, boat shoes, or some other similarly inappropriate shoes for biking. Those trips tend to happen on the fly, on the spur of the moment, and I don't want to have to swap out pedals before we run to the park.

It's a compromise, I know. But it's a compromise that means I get more saddle time, and means that I can make one less trip in the car...so it's a compromise that I'm willing to make. Thanks for the suggestions.
I agree, do what works for you. I have the same situation. One bike and a two year old. I got a set of Wellgo pedals with SPD on one side and platforms on the other. I forget the model number though.

I ride trails pretty frequently and they've been awesome. One inconvenience is you have to know what side you're "attempting" to clip in to, but they always fall a certain way so it's rather easy once you're used to it.

For street riding and lugging the kids around, it doesn't even matter whether you're clipped in or not and the clips aren't intrusive enough to compromise your foot on the pedal.

·
White Knuckle Rider
135 Posts
I don't have kids, but I would say having them running around for that 2 minutes... could seem a lot longer. Especially if Dad is solo at the time.

·
Is dang happy!
1,383 Posts
Agree, unless...

highdelll said:
ok fine.
I don't see what the big deal is to take literally less than two minutes to change out pedals is tho
:madman:
you guys do what you want :rolleyes:
You ride regular shoes and clips every other day. That will wear out the threads on the cranks eventually.

·
Registered
313 Posts
crump582 said:
I don't have kids, but I would say having them running around for that 2 minutes... could seem a lot longer. Especially if Dad is solo at the time.
That's exactly it. A two year old can do a lot of damage in 2 minutes while you're sitting out there trying to swap out pedals on top of the 15 million other things you need to do to get him out of the house. They're freakin' crazy and there's no limit to what they can do.

If you don't have kids and have all the time in the world to tinker on your bike and swap this out for that everytime you go for a ride, then more power to you. But for us who do, trust me, it's a BIG advantage to not have to do that....even if it means you have to flip your pedal around to clip in.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
how do you ever find the time to lube your chain, put on your clothes or take a shlt

besides, don't you have to 'tinker on your bike' to do something to take the two year-old with you? trailer, seat...etc?
or does the toddler just hop on their own bike and take off?

·
Picture Unrelated
5,123 Posts
Why is no one listening to Highdell (the funky homosapien)? He's right. there is nothing worse than trying to clip in on a section of trail and having to stab at the flat side of a pedal over and over again. There are heaps of better options than a two sided pedal, for instance:

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PE707A09-Shimano+Pd-M424+Pedals.aspx
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/PE299A11-Crankbrothers+Mallet+1+Pedals.aspx

I've owned these, they're not light, but they're great:
http://www.amazon.com/Time-Platform-Clipless-pedal-Black/dp/B000C15L4W

They're not perfect, you can feel the center of the pedal through your shoes, but they're a great way to just take a quick spin through the neighborhood or go to the store or something.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hell, just leave the eggbeaters on all the time. You CAN ride eggbeaters with regular shoes--it's just a bit uncomfortable. It's not like you're gonna go on the trail like that, you're just riding slowly down the street, sounds like. I used to ride my bike with eggbeaters to the store quite often, with just everyday shoes on.

Or, get something like the Candy's mentioned above--eggbeaters with a small platform around the clip.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.