Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I just got back into biking and I have stock pedals on my bike now and I want to upgrade, I judst dont want to waste money on pdeals if i'm going to end up going to clipless pedals, so what are your thoughts on a beginner with clipless pedals? I ride a KONA hoss and plan on mostly hitting up single tracks, if I shoudl go with clipless, is a cheap pair ok? or is it worth it to spend a little more, I'm a big guy too, if that matters lol, thanks!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
buy some shimano 520 clipless pedals. they are cheap in price but good quality, and they will stand up to many years of abuse. you should be able to get a pair for around $40.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you. I recently got back into biking. My old bike have the toe clips on them which I was very used to after several years of riding them. I got a new bike a couple weeks ago that just has regular platforms. My shins are paying the price today.:madman: I thought about staying with the toe clips but with all the research I've been doing it seems to point to going clipless.

I have some 520's that I ordered from performance bike. I can't wait until they get here. I hate smashing my shins

·
mtbr dismember
6,988 Posts
Adjust tension

InvictaS1 said:
buy some shimano 520 clipless pedals.
Read the instructions. You can adjust the tension. Start with the lowest tension and make sure you do it for both sides of each pedal. I started with the lowest tension and I have never found a reason to go any tighter.

Find a short grassy hill and practice going up it, stalling, and un-clipping. 15 minutes of that is all it took for me to get going.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Tried Crank brother smartys and they suck. Just bought a pair of shimano 540s coming this week. They are the same as the 770 and 940 except for the pedal material. The spring is exactly the same. so I didn't see the need for the added $$. All in the series have great reviews on this site from lots of people

Smarties almost made me give up the clipless, so I hope these are better.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
BoomingSooner said:
Tried Crank brother smartys and they suck. Just bought a pair of shimano 540s coming this week. They are the same as the 770 and 940 except for the pedal material. The spring is exactly the same. so I didn't see the need for the added $$. All in the series have great reviews on this site from lots of people

Smarties almost made me give up the clipless, so I hope these are better.
What did you dislike about the smartys? I remember you posted up not too long ago about this...did you have the cleat with two circles on your right shoe?

·
Registered
931 Posts
?

ncfisherman said:
What did you dislike about the smartys? I remember you posted up not too long ago about this...did you have the cleat with two circles on your right shoe?
I can't tell by looking. Do I need to take the cleats off to see the circles?
Thanks.

·
MTBR Member
3,008 Posts
Well first off are those the brass cleats that came with your Smartys? If they are, then you should be able to see the circles when they are attached to the shoe unless they are on upside down. There should be two circular indentations just below the "hook" on each cleat. If you have that cleat with the circles on your left shoe it would make it more difficult to unclip from your pedals because the release angle is greater. I was thinking maybe that was why you were having more of a difficult time clipping out. Are there any other reasons you do not like your smartys?

·
Registered
931 Posts
No, like the way they look. I just can't get out of them as fast as I would like (or not at all) when I really need to. It shouldn't be that hard and I shouldn't have to file down my dang shoes either imo

Thank you for helping me! They are the SMarty cleats. I will check the circles.

·
DNINIT
84 Posts
Consider the Look Quartz. I use them now and they are great. Very light, sturdy and very easy to get in and out of. About a 100 bucks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I don't see any circles on my smarty cleats. Does anyone have a picture of what I"m supposed to be looking for? Thank you all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.