Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could post this in the pedal forum, but I'm hoping to get some better answers here where high speed/rocky and jumping are important.

I have a set of cheap SPD's (the M520L's) with the multi release cleats. I have the retention set at its strongest, and I can't handle riding them because my foot pops out when I pump the bike in corners and on jumps. I'm not twisting my foot, the main issue is the sudden release of downward pressure - when I push down, it feels like the pedal is no longer grabbing the cleat well and my foot starts feeling floaty, and upon release of the pressure (like hitting a jump for instance) my foot will pop out directly upright and away. Losing a foot every time I try and pump a berm or jump hard sucks alot.

Is it because I have the multirelease cleats? I've tried some acids and like them, but if I can get away with just buying a new set of cleats instead of a whole new pedal I'd like to go that route (because I'm cheap). Also, the acids didn't "grab" the cleat quite as well as I hoped for. Basically I want a super stiff cleat/pedal setup that really doesn't move a whole lot and will keep my foot firmly planted. I have no problems with having to really yank my foot to get it to disengage. I want to be locked in. I'm not 100% set on acids, but since I've used them and they work well enough that I'm happy with them, I thought i'd pick some up if the shimano's are a no go.

So is it because of the cleat? that I'm using a cheap sh!tty pedal and I'd need to upgrade to a nicer shimano pedal? just something that happens with spds? Any help/advice from you clipless users out there would be sweet.

·
Bike Ninja |||
2,037 Posts
Multi release cleats literally will pull out if your upstroke is strong enough.

They release to the side, up, and up at an angle (hence the name) Single release will only release sideways.

Cleats are very inexpensive pick up a set of normal cleats. Also post pic of shoe sole. sometimes the cleat placement is wrong so it'll clip out prematurely.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chooofoojoo said:
Multi release cleats literally will pull out if your upstroke is strong enough.

They release to the side, up, and up at an angle (hence the name) Single release will only release sideways.

Cleats are very inexpensive pick up a set of normal cleats. Also post pic of shoe sole. sometimes the cleat placement is wrong so it'll clip out prematurely.
Ok, looks like its time for new cleats. *****ing about buying new cleats is really inexcusable for me, I work at a shop, I'm just poor as sh1t right now because I just dropped money on a boxxer wc, and now I need a new headset and direct mount stem, which will put me back even further. Looks like new cleats should probably do the trick though, and it'll put me back alot less then new pedals will. Guess its time to snag some. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.