Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it better to use clipless pedal or flat pedal for fat biking in winter?

I will be buying my first fat bike soon. Does clipless pedal freezes in the cold temperature?

·
since 4/10/2009
31,971 Posts
It depends. If you can't be bothered to read existing threads that cover this topic, then you'll get to figure it out for yourself.

·
Registered
815 Posts
My SPD's are ok unless it's sloppy wet snow and ice. I'm switching to flats for the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
9,118 Posts
Wooden clogs and those cool rubber pedals that used to come on beach cruisers, man, were those the days...

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,024 Posts
I will be buying my first fat bike soon. Does clipless pedal freezes in the cold temperature?
Yes, they are frozen. Typically, they melt around 2500°F, but my Xpedos (not on my fatbike) would probably melt around 3100°F.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
8,772 Posts
I had a couple decent winters on clipless. Then one terrible one, snow stuck in cleats etc. Swapped to flats, haven't been back since (including summer).
just a note: a couple drops of a wax based lube like T-9 on both the pedals and your cleats seems to help prevent the buildup of ice. i spread it around with my finger to get all the interface surfaces on both, or anywhere you don't want ice to stick.

I use SPDs until the snow gets too deep, then switch to flats.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Do you have heavy wet snow... Use flat pedals, snow will ball up on the bottom of four shoes and on pedals. If you have fluffy dry snow then clipless can work pretty well. I live in Utah and can get by with spd trail pedals, but sometimes it is a real pain smacking my pedals with the bottom of my shoe to clear the snow from both.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I had the same question as you 2 seasons ago. I experimented with both (even bought new clipless shoes for some old clipless pedals).
In the end I found the winter book/flat pedal with good pins to be the best bet for overall winter riding. I sold the clipless shoes and haven't looked back since.

·
Registered
254 Posts
When it's colder than -30 you need flats and felt pack boots.
Clips and the like are not cold weather compatible.
My Bontrager OMW boots are useless in the cold.

·
Registered
149 Posts
For winter and rainy conditions you have much better choice for footwear outside of velo store IMO.
For example I use hiking boots at winter/autumn/spring which are water proof, breathable, warm and comfy.
Thus I prefer platforms as they allow wider boot selection.

Sent from my SM-G900F

1 - 20 of 30 Posts