Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so i was 280 lbs before i started riding trails now i got my hardrock and ive lost 15lbs in a month. Now im hooked wanna upgrade to a specialized epic but still saving in the mean time im debating if i should go to clipless pedal and if so which ones? Want to keep it in the 60 70 dollar range. I hear good about shimano and time aliums which is better for us clydesdales?

jorge

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
i just recently switched to clips on my XC bike......I have fellen likre once or twice each ride because I can't get out (I am a DH rider on flats mostly)

that being said.....I choose a pedal that has both flats and clips on it.....these ones are pretty nice

another view

prices

FYI they keep you stuck in really good.....back tension screw out all the way(easiest to get out)

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i ran SPD's back in the last 90's... put 4 or 5 years on em... not light but they never gave me a problem even with my 225ish lbs...

still had them till about a year ago when i lost them in a move :(...

now that i'm back into cycling i'll be picking up another pair soon... while i like the large flats they just aren't what i like (although they are leaps and bounds better then the small flats i had on my mid 90's bike)...

i'm going with the SPD's based on hearing stories of people braking the clip on the eggbeaters... in the short time i've been back into riding i've hit a number of rocks with my pdeals... i don't feel like having to deal with that... also have a history with SPD's so it's going with what i know kinda thing... if i wasn't going SPD i'd go with Time ATAC's

·
Great... another hobby...
45 Posts
Clipless!!!

I'm in the 240 range and I have a set of M770 SPD's from Shimano and I will never use anything else. It takes practice to get in and out efficiently but after a couple of weeks this action will become involuntary and you will be hooked. I ride XC.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I've broken several kinds of pedals, and the Time's are the clear winner to me. I'm 230 -240 lbs., and very rough on pedals. My last pair of attacks lasted for 4 - 5 years. I literally wore them out, but the spindles never broke (very important fact there). The pair I'm using now are 3 years old, and with a new set of cleats, they work like new, but I don't get to ride as much as I used to. This pair will probably last a decade.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
Another vote for Times. Check out the Time Atac Z's. Had mind on my bike for 2-1/2 years now. I demolished Crankbrothers Mallets over and over before I tried my first set of Times. The Time Aliums are nice too.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Clipless or flats would depend on the type of riding you do. For DH you want to steer clear of clipless, for most everything else there are advantages to going clipless. As for which ones you can not go wrong with SPD's, I used them for years without any problems.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're a beginner to clipless, I would suggest an SPD to get the tension adjustment, it's very helpful to a beginner. One pedal in your price range that I've heard good things about is the Shimano 520. You can also get multi-release cleats that allow you to get out with a very hard upward pull if you forget to pivot your foot to get out in an emergency. If you decide to go with Times, you might want to consider a pair of Speedgoat's shaved cleats for easier release, or you can modify the ones that come with the pedals.

Smokey

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well im rethinking if i should go clipless. i was riding in my local trail markham park here in miami. i almost went down really bad twice would have never gotten out with clipless pedals and i probably wouldve gone face first. Dont know what to do?

·
Great... another hobby...
45 Posts
I took several super hard falls in some precarious places. What I did was back off on the difficulty of what I was riding and eased the release pressure on my pedals then practiced more.

Now two days ago I was riding up a hill I shouldn't have been trying to climb and I lost my momentum, panic braked, began the motion to flip my bike backwards and tumble end over end about 200 feet on this god forsaken hill but my newfound instinct took over and I released my feet with no thought and slid off the back and landed on my feet to walk the rest of the way up the hill.

The trick is really practice, eventually you will get to the point where you clip in and out with no concious thought and you will feel totally natural. This doesn't take months either as long as you are persistant for a couple of weeks you will get it.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
miafunk said:
well im rethinking if i should go clipless. i was riding in my local trail markham park here in miami. i almost went down really bad twice would have never gotten out with clipless pedals and i probably wouldve gone face first. Dont know what to do?
I was in your "clipless shoes" once. SKEERED TO DEATH I WAS. Took quite some convincing before I would even try. Once I did I was hooked. Have I had accidents? Yes...did I have accidents before going clipless...Yes. Has going clipless enabled me to ride things that I wouldn't or couldn't with flat pedals? Yes. It's worth it. Give it shot.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Me 235 now

I have Mallets they have been a pretty easy transition..... As in learning to unclip... Its made me quicker up inclines thats for sure, but slower elsewhere for now as I learn. I also have Funn Solejams for trail and they are priceless...keeps me from going clipless full time...

I also use 50/50's for dry light trails...family... easy rides

·
Registered
294 Posts
miafunk said:
I think i might go withe the mallets due to the fact they are flats and clipless. Are they good or are there better ones in that price range?
I looked for some time... Platform was the size I wanted for my taste and the quality couldnt be beat at the price. The egg beaters are simple to learn. 15 or 20 degree option.

I am very pleased and if I upgrade to a more expensive shoe/pedal combo, I will look no further than crank brothers and the egg beater

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
er i will add... my knees PREFERED clipless to flats with clips (hey this was the 90's) the clipless allowed my foot to easily rotate slightly on the slick/smooth metal... on flats my foot seemed to lock in more and not rotate though the pedal stroke (while it was a slight movment i could feel it after longer spinning type rides)

figured i'd toss that out

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.