Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Always last
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im going on a trip to Tahoe next week( thurs, fri, sat, and sun) and I was planning on hitting some trails up there. Not anything really technical since I'm still learning the basics of control. Now I was going to go get some clipless pedals and shoes with my my next paycheck. Now my question is should I wait and get the clipless pedals after the vacation? I ask because I know their is some time to get used to clipping in and out and don't want to be in situation where I have only about 5 days of practice with them, before I go and hit a trail and maybe hurt myself seriously enough to ruin the rest of my vacation.:madman: Now if I don't get the pedals, I will probably get a camelbak or something similar. Any advice would be appreciated as payday is friday.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hold off on the pedals. Im letting you know from expierience. I was in VT last week with my clipless(still getting the hang of it) and I found myself unclipping ALOT to ride the trails. I havent built up my confidence enough with them yet. Platforms would have made riding alot funner, but having the clipless didnt make me have a bad time either.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Most people make the mistake of switching to clipless both feet at a time. Try just running your left foot clipless, to get used to it. Then migrate the right.

(note: this is a JOKE.)

Seriously, though, one option is to bring both sets of pedals and a pedal wrench. If you want to tackle tech stuff, stick with your platforms. If you've got time to kill on some flatland, switch to the clipless and practice a bit. Bit of a pain, but worst case you can have fun on plats and ignore your clipless. :)

·
Always last
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, l'll think I'll stick with the camelbak for the vacation and then get the pedals when I get back. :D

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
The hydration pack is a good idea.
I'd suggest getting the clipless at a time when you are on familiar ground and not under any other pressure. Learning to cope with clipless usually takes a while and people sometimes run into confidence issues that cause spills.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Killswitch021 said:
Im going on a trip to Tahoe next week( thurs, fri, sat, and sun) and I was planning on hitting some trails up there. Not anything really technical since I'm still learning the basics of control. Now I was going to go get some clipless pedals and shoes with my my next paycheck. Now my question is should I wait and get the clipless pedals after the vacation? I ask because I know their is some time to get used to clipping in and out and don't want to be in situation where I have only about 5 days of practice with them, before I go and hit a trail and maybe hurt myself seriously enough to ruin the rest of my vacation.:madman: Now if I don't get the pedals, I will probably get a camelbak or something similar. Any advice would be appreciated as payday is friday.:thumbsup:
a good camelback is nice to have.. the only time I've gone out without mine I got a pinch flat... Now I've got enough stuff to repair just about anything.. I've only been riding for like a month, but can now change a flat, change a chain, adjust derailleur cables, and adjust the trueness of the brake pads. Plus it's HOT out..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts