Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a while back i posted (not in injuries section) about the clippless pedals and shoes i was planing on getting. I did end up getting them for Christmas and what not, and got back to school and installed them. Anyway i got I got Crank bro's Mallet 1's and a pair of Specialized BG Comp mtb. shoes to go with. I use my mtb. to commute to school as well so for my first ride in the clipins it was to and from school for about 2 weeks or so. Which was great because i got used to clipping in and out quickly all before i got on the trails with them....So the first time on the trails with my new favorite toys and i'm loving every stroke im taking with these badboys...pedal power is a amazing, and not to forget about the control of the bike and better balance. Everything is going great, nearing the end of the ride where we cross through a shallow creek. Both sides of the creek is a decent long hill where you gain a good amount of speed...well everytime i go through this creek i pop up into a manual and ride it through so as not to soak myself (also to add to the awesome factor of the ride). Well this time i got bit, hard :( I approach and manual through like always, but this time i must have been feeling a little more ambitious, as when i pulled up into my manual, i pulled just a little too much. Got through the creek, felt i was falling backwards so i grabbed a bunch of rear brake and unfortunately forgetting i was on gravel, locked the rear and ended up on the gravel with a quickness. Much quicker then i could even think to clip out of my pedals. So i layed there in alot of pain for about 15 mins, the guys i was riding with all were there with me and helped me off to the side of the trail. After about 30 mins, i noticed my leg from just above the ankle all the way down through the foot was not feeling any better. I removed my shoe and saw my foot beginning to swell rapidly. Unfortunately we were still about 2 miles from the trail head and i couldn't walk so and everyone had bikes so no one could carry me, so i just clipped my other foot in and pedaled all the way back through sugar sand i might add :eekster:

Needless to say, got home, still felt like hell so i went to the walk-in and got x-rays, these are the results..

Broken Fib and torn ligament.... Needless to say the doc said i was young and healthy so we oped for surgery so now i got this in me!! :p

Here's the cool scar and staples...

The question i get asked the most now is... Were they worth is (the clipless pedals)?
I answer back with a big smile, "Most definitely."

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea it was still pretty swollen after that, not to mention my calf is already half the size it was, so they almost blend now...not helping anything there lol

·
Registered
320 Posts
Don't feel bad......

You will be riding in a few months. I was off the bike for only 3 months broken Tibia and Fibula.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, got a scar about the same length, minus the little bend at the end there lol

Yea it's killing me, going from riding my bike every single day, to not at all. :( Longest my bike has not moved in over 2 years.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have been riding my bike on the trainer about 4 days a week, and did one 15 mile road ride since it happened in November. Hope to be on the trails again in March/april

·
SS Pusher Man
7,611 Posts
Ehhhhh.....you need them on both sides:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damn son, that puts my little ding to shame...hope the recovery went well.
im looking to get back on my bike and at least commute as soon as i can walk. or at least get the boot on the 15th, then i can take it off and put a shoe on to ride ;)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Man, hope you heal up quick!

Let me ask you... Would this be in Fl by any chance? That little creek area reminds me of an area in a local trail here in Orlando.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why yes, yes indeed...snow hill, the jeep trail right there at the creek.... i do it everytime, this time, not so lucky.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yea both. although santos was cut short a little due to a nasty fall :(

ever been out to alafia or boyette? I live 15 from each of those back home (in orlando for school)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Cutting Straight?

Looks to me like those surgens need to take a class in "how to cut straight" 101. Or they should try using a straight edge with their scaple. Or maybe layoff the lunch matini's.

David:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts