Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Climbing with a RS Boxxer - Anyone tried it?

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  burnout 
#1 ·
I am looking at putting my old trusty RS totems on my new FR/DH bike. I plan to run it with a front mech but was wondering how it would climb with a Boxxer. I have never had any problems running the Totem coil at 180mm whilst trail riding as the downs more than compensate for the ups.

I believe that the Totem and the Boxxer have similar A-C lengths, but complete with front mech, can it be climbed? Ultimately I intend to get to the top to enjoy the downs - theoretically - it seems a viable option... your thoughts please....:thumbsup:

#2 ·
Having posted this - I have since noticed a similar thread regarding lowering a set of fox 40's. I am not interested in adapting them for XC/AM purposes, I just want to know if I will be able to climb to the top of the trail head before descending... again...you thoughts please.....

#5 ·
lornibear said:
Having posted this - I have since noticed a similar thread regarding lowering a set of fox 40's. I am not interested in adapting them for XC/AM purposes, I just want to know if I will be able to climb to the top of the trail head before descending... again...you thoughts please.....
Really you are heading down the same path of responses as mr. Fox 40 :rolleyes: Can you climb to the top w/ a similar a-c fork ? Why not. Again a Boxxer is a race DH fork that is meant for DH not trail riding That said I personally could ride XC all day long on a V 10 w/ a Super Monster T if I wanted to be the biggest tool of the trails.

#6 ·
Another good point....

keen said:
Really you are heading down the same path of responses as mr. Fox 40 :rolleyes: Can you climb to the top w/ a similar a-c fork ? Why not. Again a Boxxer is a race DH fork that is meant for DH not trail riding That said I personally could ride XC all day long on a V 10 w/ a Super Monster T if I wanted to be the biggest tool of the trails.
I agree, it was worth a thought - I have had great results with the totems and will continue with them.

#7 ·
Sure, I switch out between a Monster T and 888 on my ride. The real question is your geometry. My bike has more upright geometry that makes the climbs managable, but if you're talking about a full-on super-slack DH bike, you'll be in a world of hurt, and it ain't really because you have a DH fork up front, it's because the entire bike is not well suited for any kind of climbing. The other part is being strong. I make climbs all the time that guys on far lighter AM and XC bikes can't make. There's no substitute for this, but it does let you overcome a lot of other things, like weight, some geometry issues, efficiency, etc.

#10 ·
New frame....

Jayem said:
Sure, I switch out between a Monster T and 888 on my ride. The real question is your geometry. My bike has more upright geometry that makes the climbs managable, but if you're talking about a full-on super-slack DH bike, you'll be in a world of hurt, and it ain't really because you have a DH fork up front, it's because the entire bike is not well suited for any kind of climbing. The other part is being strong. I make climbs all the time that guys on far lighter AM and XC bikes can't make. There's no substitute for this, but it does let you overcome a lot of other things, like weight, some geometry issues, efficiency, etc.
Its a Banshee Scythe by the way..:thumbsup:

#12 ·
Ive posted these pics a ton but here you go.
I usually run the 66 ETA for general riding.

I run a Titec seatpost. The ETA is awesome. I can lock it down to ride up. It climbs like a champ.

Then when we start hitting the resorts the Boxxer goes on. Ill probably leave the Boxxer on mid season and just deal with it. The seatpost makes a huge difference. I wish Zoke would make a 888 with ETA. :) Im a one bike guy. Im going to put a flush top headset and a Canfield drop stem on to get the bars a lot lower. It will help with cornering and also riding the Boxxer uphill when I have to.

#13 ·
I run a Nomad Mk1 with a 2009 Boxxer Race for both, bike parks and trail riding. I installed the Air piston to save some weight.

I can say that you can use it for trail riding , but uphill will be a little harder but not impossible. This is for a Nomad Mk1... for a freeride rig I cannot assure this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.