Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2007 preston which is a great bike... However my riding terrain has changed quite a bit from the time I bought it. I end up riding a forest next to my house which is singletrack full of roots and rocks. I'm not managing to climb the (short)hills due to their steepness and bumpiness, and it's killing my flow.

I have a pretty light build. Changed my (single) front ring to 32t and fork to pike (both helped a bit), but it's not enough. Now I'm contemplating if I could fix the issue with components, or get a different frame.

I am 190cm with a large frame, and a 60mm stem. I have a single 32t chainring. If I undertood correctly, longer stem might make it easier to climb? I wonder how much difference that and a granny ring would make?

·
Registered
884 Posts
Granny helps.. I consider myself in pretty decent shape but I personally couldn't imagine running a single ring on my Preston as I have a lot of steep climbs for most of my rides. I wish I could though because I hate front derailleurs. I run a 24t/36t/bash guard with a tensioner, it works pretty well. A longer stem does help as well, I switch between a 90mm and 50mm.. the 90 is better to climb with but it makes descending somewhat sketchy and the steering doesn't feel quite as responsive.. I am switching to a 70 though and calling it a day because switching stems is getting old..

Are you a pretty aggressive rider? If you are climbing a lot and not hitting too many drops and want to stay with Transition I would probably consider switching to a Covert if changing your frame is an option..

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sly_foxx said:
Are you a pretty aggressive rider? If you are climbing a lot and not hitting too many drops and want to stay with Transition I would probably consider switching to a Covert if changing your frame is an option..
Changing frames is an option, just means I have to listen to some nagging from my wife. I'm not brand loyal, but happy with transition as a company. I was kind of considering a Chumba XCL since I know the importer and he'd sell me one for about 15% less then what a covert would cost.

I'm not very aggressive, I got the preston as at the time I rode either at a resort (chicken line but still fun), or a place with fairly long winding downhill trails. It's a perfect bike for both of those places, but these days I just don't have a chance to go to either one. I used to hate the trails I go to know, as they where so slow and difficult... Then it became a challange, and now I enjoy it. I just figure it would be good to have a bike that works on those trails I ride most.

G

·
Get a front derailleur, 22T granny gear and a Blackspire Stinger guide. This combo works perfectly on my 06 Preston and it climbs like a goat in the granny.

Also go tubeless if you haven't already, getting rid of all the extra weight out on the rims makes climbing much more enjoyable.:thumbsup:

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess that even if I decide to go for a different frame I'll still need a front derailleur and probably a different stem, so I can just as well try them out now. I bought a tubeless conversion kit last winter but did not try it on yet. I currently have light tubes, so the weight benefit won't be huge, but since I already have them... I also have a stinger and a DRS somewhere, so no problems there. I might go for a slightly larger granny ring though (or do you think 22 will make a big difference to 24 or 26?.

Maby this is just one of my stupid urges, I'll let you know how it turns out :)

G

·
dropadrop said:
Thanks for the suggestion. I guess that even if I decide to go for a different frame I'll still need a front derailleur and probably a different stem, so I can just as well try them out now. I bought a tubeless conversion kit last winter but did not try it on yet. I currently have light tubes, so the weight benefit won't be huge, but since I already have them... I also have a stinger and a DRS somewhere, so no problems there. I might go for a slightly larger granny ring though (or do you think 22 will make a big difference to 24 or 26?.

Maby this is just one of my stupid urges, I'll let you know how it turns out :)
I am a bigger guy at 6'3" and 240# so I need any mechanical advantage I can get when climbing, especially in the rocky technical stuff out here in Arizona so I run a 22T, I have used 24T also, but the 22T will climb up a wall. In fact in the 22/34 combo Its almost hard to stay upright you are going so slow:D

The tubeless will still help, if you are using standard tires with a conversion kit, the tires are a little more "supple" and they tend to accelerate a little better so it doe's help in climbing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.