Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
sebastian I'm from Florida and right now am up in North Carolina doing a little climbing. I'm climbing better this year after having been working out with weights consistently for the last 6 months. I do a leg workout once per week and feel it has helped.

Here is what I am doing at the moment:

"Squat lunges" with weight--I've basically got one foot forward and one back and do a squat with my feet fixed in that position, then switch sides.

One legged calf raises with weight (a dumbell in my hand on the side of the leg I am working).

Jump squats with weight--using a 15 pound weight ball, getting into a squat position, then "leap-frogging" up onto a step about 1.5-2 feet high. I immediately step down and go right into the next one, so it is a very intense set.

I've switched up over time and have also done regular squats and leg press. I've also done an exercise which hits the hamstrings--which are not as important for cycling as the quads and calves and glutes but you still want balance in your muscle strength.

Oh yeah, getting on the bike and hammering in a big gear also helps.

·
I wanna go fast!
505 Posts
You don't necessarily have to have hills to be a good climber, assuming you're not talking about going from sea level to somewhere at altitude, which is more difficult to overcome. Climbing is all about power to weight, and being able to sustain it. If you can increase your power output (strength) without increasing your weight, or while minimizing any weight increase, then you can increase your climbing ability. I know it's difficult to duplicate the effort of sustained climbing, but yeah, increase your power output and keep your weight the same and you'll be fine. I've found the best way for me to do this is on the bike, by hammering a big gear, like Gatorback said. I'm of the body type that puts on muscle quickly, so doing weights would be counter-productive...I would bulk up too much, so on the bike strength work is pretty effective, for me. Good luck :thumbsup:

·
line em up, load em tight
78 Posts
AggieXCRacer said:
You don't necessarily have to have hills to be a good climber, assuming you're not talking about going from sea level to somewhere at altitude, which is more difficult to overcome. Climbing is all about power to weight, and being able to sustain it. If you can increase your power output (strength) without increasing your weight, or while minimizing any weight increase, then you can increase your climbing ability. I know it's difficult to duplicate the effort of sustained climbing, but yeah, increase your power output and keep your weight the same and you'll be fine. I've found the best way for me to do this is on the bike, by hammering a big gear, like Gatorback said. I'm of the body type that puts on muscle quickly, so doing weights would be counter-productive...I would bulk up too much, so on the bike strength work is pretty effective, for me. Good luck :thumbsup:
exactly. ride a bigger gear than you normally would and you basically are climbing...or so your making your legs think. also...sprints. intervals....those will improve your power to weight.

·
Registered
328 Posts
sebastian21 said:
Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone know a good workout at the gym with the machines like the leg press..to do some climbing.. I am asking this because as most of you guys know people in florida does not have mountain or climbs....

Anyone know any good exercise///?

thanks
I'll do nothing but reiterate what others just said:

1) In the weight room (once per week is good) do squats and/or leg presses. The first guy mentioned a lot of other variety which will all work, but keep it simple and you get all the same benefits. If that gets boring and/or old you can mix it up as he described.

2) Push a 55rpm gear for 60 seconds at a time interval fashion. Your body can't tell the difference between doing that on a climb or on the flat. You may need to ride on the road to do that effectively if the terrain you have won't allow that kind of speed to be sustained that long on the trail.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Mid-range intervals (5-12 minutes) of Big gear riding (50-70rpm). Once you get those in, add some shifting to the intervals to cycle your cadence up to around 90rpm or your preferred cadence for 30 seconds, then shift back down.

Also as others pointed out, ride into the wind.

Some of the best climbers in the world are Dutch riders, and they are technically below sea level

·
Registered
738 Posts
The push-away exercise

sebastian21 said:
Hey guys... Just wondering if anyone know a good workout at the gym with the machines like the leg press..to do some climbing.. I am asking this because as most of you guys know people in florida does not have mountain or climbs....

Anyone know any good exercise///?

thanks
from the dinner table that is. That is one way to get power to weight ratio up.

Hate to say it, but for many of us sport class riders, it is easier to drop 10% of our body weight than to increase our threshold by 10%.

Now if one could do both of those, then it would be time to upgrade.

·
bikerbert
1,080 Posts
Single leg squats will give you the most bang for your buck regarding improved climbing. As will strengthening the ability of your arms and legs working together to produce force through you trunk. The more stable your pelvis is, the more force you will be able to exert.

Much more so than anything you do while seated (leg press, leg curl, knee extensions). There is a very long winded answer as to why seated exercises DO NOT ehnance athletic performance because of the way they negatively affect the above mentioned muscular connection.

Check out this link if you want more information as to why:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=417955

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.