Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Yeah, my old man rage at lock outs is that I forget to unlock them and wonder why I'm riding like **** on the descent.

Also, locking a fork in full up position is silly for technical climbing. Ideally they should lock in full down position.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never bothered with locking out a fork but I have always been a seated climber. Always thought it was a silly option that usually resulted in rough descents until I figured out what was wrong.
I recently tried single speeding where standing to climb is mandatory for me. Now I understand why there is the lockout option on forks.
All above applied to fun rides, I don't race.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
I rarely use my lockout...mainly because I'll forget to unlock it when going back down. I'll use it if I'm schlepping up a long flat climb like a fire or access road. The one time I did find myself using it is when I demo'd a bike where the lockout lever is mounted onto the handlebar.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
If that was an XC race or a fire road, sure. But on a rocky trail ride the typical outcome is that it will be harder to climb and you will forget it locked on the way down.

·
Registered
5,663 Posts
Apparently, locking out your fork gives you an effective slacker HTA...

If you're running an FS rig and you're sag'd in (rear), then your HTA will be slacker again.

Running fork open steepens the head angle i.e. riding at sag + using the travel.

Keeps you more forward and over the BB.

Sent from my Asus Rog 3

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,051 Posts
I think that's kind of a non-starter, you wouldn't lock out the front unless you had already locked out the rear. You tend to get a lot more benefit locking out the rear as far as efficiency and only if you are sitting there pedaling furiously out of the saddle will get the benefit of locking the front...on a smooth surface. I think people should time themselves uphill with and without the lockouts. I think they'll find the times are a lot closer than they think.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I think that's kind of a non-starter, you wouldn't lock out the front unless you had already locked out the rear. You tend to get a lot more benefit locking out the rear as far as efficiency and only if you are sitting there pedaling furiously out of the saddle will get the benefit of locking the front...on a smooth surface. I think people should time themselves uphill with and without the lockouts. I think they'll find the times are a lot closer than they think.
That is very true, lockout of the shock is far more important than the fork. I actually do fiddle with the shock once in a while, never with the fork.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Locking or not locking the fork never made the hill easier to climb.
I lock out my suspension on gravel road descents so I can tell if the front wheel is grippin' or slippin'.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't lock anything. Granted, my riding is just climbing a couple thousand feet of gravel roads to get to the descent. I got bored and did several rides using the lockout on the shock and firming up the fork, then without. The difference was negligible on the way up. Drastic on the way down when I forgot to unlock the shock and soften the fork over half the time. So I stopped doing it :ROFLMAO:

·
Bicyclochondriac.
14,619 Posts
The most valid answer to this is the one you come up with yourself after trying it either way.

Its been a long time since I ran a fork with a lockout, or even a firmer climbing mode. (Well my old Pike had Motion Control with a Floodgate, but I ran the Floodgate so wide open the the lockout was useless).

However, I am now running a 160mm fork with a pretty soft innitial stroke, and lately I’ve though that something to firm it up a little on out-of-the-saddle efforts would be nice. But I doubt it would get used unless it had a handlebar remote.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I never used any lockout I had ever, BUT, I did hear from a guy at the bottom of the hill in another group looking worse for wear as I rolled say to his buddies “dangit, I forgot to unlock my fork on the way down and didn’t check it until now!”.

His buddies laughed at him.

brutal run, that.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts