Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
What I mean is, the suspension companies should design a fork or shock where if you hit a big enough bump with the shock locked out, the shock flips itself into the unlocked position. It doesn't seem like it would be that technically difficult to implement.
My old Rock Shox Revelation had a lockout that had a "Gate" knob that you could adjust. It allowed the lockout to be overridden on various levels of impact. At least, I think that's what it was for.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I don't have any lockouts, when I did I refused to use them. For tech climbs is all technique and fitness. If you lack the endurance and or power to do quick accelerations over stuff then yourl grind to a holt.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Ps for a tech climb. Tyre pressure that gives you grip over roots is good. Too tight and yourl wheel spin.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,006 Posts
Suspension - Set it and forget it.
That got me thinking, I do not know if my newest possession a helm mk2 even has a lock out.
That is on my fully which habitat is almost solely trails so I never thought about locking it in the first place.
Rear has a climb switch which I use when I end up on gravel climbs for some reason.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I never had to locked fork. If it is set up properly from the shop, you don't need to lock out.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
What I mean is, the suspension companies should design a fork or shock where if you hit a big enough bump with the shock locked out, the shock flips itself into the unlocked position. It doesn't seem like it would be that technically difficult to implement.
You mean like the Fox Terralogic and Specialized Epic Brain shocks? Or perhaps running a shim stack that allows you close the low speed needle and have the stack blow open easily (Manitou SPV, Rockshox Gate)? Perhaps do it electrically and call it livevalve? Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.

·
Registered
719 Posts
You mean like the Fox Terralogic and Specialized Epic Brain shocks? Or perhaps running a shim stack that allows you close the low speed needle and have the stack blow open easily (Manitou SPV, Rockshox Gate)? Perhaps do it electrically and call it livevalve? Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it.
No, not like those - they all reset after blowing off. I want the fork/shock to actually switch modes and not to lock out again until the lever is manually flipped back.

·
Rides all the bikes!
3,979 Posts
Only time I lock the fork on my hardtail is if I am standing and sprinting. It is an XC race bike only. Sitting, tech climbing, any other time, it is open. I have had instances where being locked has bounced me off an obstacle so bad it defeated the point entirely.

MRP had a magnetic lock system on one of their trail forks. If you hit something hard enough, the magnet would open up the ports. I loved it for XC style racing and it performed WAY better than the 2018 Epic I had.

·
Premium Member
6,128 Posts
No, not like those - they all reset after blowing off. I want the fork/shock to actually switch modes and not to lock out again until the lever is manually flipped back.
So, you mean a lever where you open it and it stays open until you close it? :)

·
Registered
Top Fuel
1,569 Posts
What I mean is, the suspension companies should design a fork or shock where if you hit a big enough bump with the shock locked out, the shock flips itself into the unlocked position.
Old White Brothers forks had a “magnet valve” that did exactly that. it was a valve held closed by a magnet that would pop open with enough inertia. it worked well but hardly anyone bought them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I only use the shock lockout when climbing fire roads or the occasional paved road section. Never use the fork lock. The moment I touch dirt I open everything up. Climbing roots, rocks, chunk, or loose surfaces is always better with full movement around here. For what its worth, I have two bikes-a Tallboy 4 and a Yeti ARC. ARC is an overall better climber, unless the trail is over 20 miles in which case I always prefer the TB4.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
36,051 Posts
So, you mean a lever where you open it and it stays open until you close it? :)
No, I think he means one that starts out locked and if you slam it hard enough, it unlocks and stays that way, so theoretically when it comes time to start heading downhill, you don't need to flip any switches, the action of the hard impact blowoff deactivates the lock-out and it remains off until you put it back on. Makes a lot of sense for XC racing...but then again live-valve technology has maybe already rendered the idea obsolete.

Reactions: DIRTJUNKIE

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
39,606 Posts
We better be careful or this thread will get locked out.

Reactions: Jayem

·
Registered
719 Posts
No, I think he means one that starts out locked and if you slam it hard enough, it unlocks and stays that way, so theoretically when it comes time to start heading downhill, you don't need to flip any switches, the action of the hard impact blowoff deactivates the lock-out and it remains off until you put it back on. Makes a lot of sense for XC racing...but then again live-valve technology has maybe already rendered the idea obsolete.
That's right, although rather than the XC racer, I'm thinking of the trail rider who locks out for a fire road climb, but sometimes forgets to unlock when starts riding the trails.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts