Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hows climbing the Dawg Deluxe,both sitting in the seat and on your feet uphill on rocky trails.

I'm thinking about getting a 06' Dawg Deluxe.

Also,i asked around some bike shops and people have said that the only negative fault was the single pivot design.

Can anyone add further to that?

Thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

·
mtbr member
60 Posts
I have an '05 Dawg-D and have no problems with the single pivot design. As far as climbing goes, it not great, but it's really good given the geometry.

I think it depends a lot on your riding style. If you're racing XC, you might want to get a different bike. On the other hand, if you want a bike that can do it all - really good - go with the Dawg.

I've ridden mine all over and feel like it's the perfect bike to take anywhere. Works just as good in the flat lands of Texas as it does in the hills and mountains of Kentucky.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
It's not a single pivot design but a walking four-bar: http://www.konaworld.com/tech/dual_suspension.htm

Regardless, the key is that the bike is versatile. If you want a good all-around bike, the Dawg is a good choice. I have an 06 Dawg Deluxe. I move forward on the saddle when climbing to keep the front tire on the ground. I center myself between the front and rear tires when climbing standing up. I like how the bike descends and corners.

If you want the "best" climber design, you'll find compromises in other aspects of riding.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A buddy of mine has an '06 Dawg Supreme with a 140mm Fox Vanilla RLC fork. Although, 18mm higher than stock fork (on the Deluxe) it still can climb up some steep stuff with enough body english. Head angle is nice and slack, good for aggressive riding (especially going downhill).

The only negative aspect of Kona's suspension is perhaps brake jack. However, you can fix that with floating brake arm from these guys:

http://www.braketherapy.com/floater.htm

·
Registered
703 Posts
robdamanii said:
My 05 Primo can climb anything that the rest of the bikes on the trail climb. It's all in your technique. Whoever says "single pivot" is really noticeably different than most other linkages is likely a liar.
Yep I have an 03' dawg primo and I lovvve it. It climbs great with lockout on, its all in your technique. It does have a little brake jack but who really cares. Its an awsome bike and I give mine a beating. Almost four years and its still running strong. Its a perfect all mountain ride.

·
Registered
422 Posts
With the quality of platform shocks today, most suspension designs work well. Climbing on the Dawg is fine, nothing like climbing on an aggressive XC geometry bike but you'll get to the top and you definitely won't be left behind (plus I usually ride the Coiler on trail rides around here in the Rockies - so it can be steep and I'm usually at the top first). Anyway, where's the fun in worrying about the climb...it's all about going down and the Dawg loves it!

Like others have said, it's a great all mountain ride.

·
Registered
96 Posts
never said:
Like others have said, it's a great all mountain ride.
I agree with never. I have a 2004 Dawg Deelux and live in the foothills of Colorado just outside of Rocky Mountain National Park. Some of the climbs here are Steep and long. If there are any climbs I can't get up it isn't because of the bike. It's a very good trailbike and is very durable. It allows me to ride any trail I want to ride and have the ability to ride. Like Never also said platform technology has made a design that wasn't great for climbing much better. I had Push work on my rear shock and pedal inputs are now non existent.

If climbing is your main concern maybe you should try to test ride different bikes not only the Kona's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.